Ashes [Part Two]

"Our local hero, Detective Olivia Benson, was released from the hospital today. She is well known for her act of bravery after running into the burning sixteenth precinct to save her significant other. We will continue covering this story on the night of her award ceremony where the mayor will be honoring her for her bravery." A reporter spoke loudly on the TV. 

"Mama, you are a hero!" Christian exclaimed, as he ran away from the TV and to where his mother and father sat together on the sofa. Nick was released three weeks after the fire, but his girlfriend had to stay nearly two months because she had suffered a heart attack along with several second and third-degree burns.

"I'm not a hero, baby." Olivia breathed softly as she ran her hand across her chest. She was still incredibly weak and still in pain, but she was so thankful to be home with her boys.

"Yes you are! You saved Daddy!" Christian smiled, before climbing onto his mother's lap and hugging her tightly. Olivia took a slow breath before looping her arms around her son's small body.

"I can't live without your Daddy... I had to do what needed to be done." Olivia breathed. Nick reached out and brushed a tear from Olivia's check before leaning close and kissing her temple.

"Thank you for saving my life, Olivia." Nick whispered, and Olivia nodded slowly.

"Christian needs two parents, so I had to do what needed to be done."

///

Olivia recovered for two more weeks at home before her boyfriend and friends forced her to attend the Mayor's Dinner, where she was being honored among all of the fire fighters who put the fire out at her precinct.

Olivia and Nick were dressed in their uniforms, and they put Christian in a small suit so he could join them. It gave them an excuse to leave early, since Christian usually gets fussy and whining if he stays up after eight.

"Detective Benson, it's nice to meet you." Mayor Smith spoke, as he smiled at Olivia and they shook hands.

"It's an honor to meet you, sir... but I don't understand why you are giving me an award. I went into that building to find my boyfriend." Olivia breathed. 

"You were being brave, Detective. And your Captain, boyfriend, and co-workers nominated you."

"T-they nominated me? I didn't know that that could happen." Olivia sighed softly.

She thanked Mayor Smith again, before heading over to the table up front. She found Nick holding Christian to his chest and rocking him back and forth as he drank from his cup of milk.

"So, you all nominated me for this?" Olivia huffed, as she placed her hand against her chest again. 

"What?" Nick asked, without lifting his eyes from their son.

"Mayor Smith told me! You all know how much I hate things like this! Then you go and-" Olivia stopped herself before shaking her head and quickly finding an exit.

"Liv!" Fin called after her, but she ignored him because she needed space and air.

///

Olivia went outside and stayed away from the reporters and people taking pictures. She moved down to the water and took shaky breaths as she grabbed onto the railing and looked out onto the harbor.

She didn't feel like a hero. She didn't feel like she should be honored for what she did. It was stupid, and Cragen told her that many times, but she did it for the sake of her boyfriend. For their son. But Olivia never did think that she'd make it out alive, to only collapse in her Captain's arms while suffering a heart attack.

"Liv?" Nick asked, and Olivia shook her head as she squeezed the railing tightly in her hands.

"I don't want to go in there again, Nick." Olivia breathed.

"I'm not going to force you back in there, baby. I'm just out here to check on you." Nick frowned. He rubbed her back and Olivia sighed softly before turning to look at the man she was spending the rest of her life with.

"Nick, I'm not something special. I'm a detective, a mom, and your girlfriend. That's all. I don't deserve a medal, because I saved you. I didn't run into that building and saved a stranger. I saved the guy that I love." Olivia replied weakly.

"You deserve this, lovey. Trust me-"

"I was told that I might never be able to go back to work. That my heart attack would put me out of commission. That depending on the state of my heart, you and I might not be able to give Christian a sibling. And Nick, walking up the stairs to our apartment is a hard task. My chest hurts and my lungs hurt... and my body hurts from the burns. I just wish you hadn't nominated me, because then instead of being here, we could be at home with our son and watching cartoons before we all go to bed." Olivia sniffled.

Nick drew Olivia close before kissing her forehead gently.

"Olivia, you have and always will be my hero. It's the same with Christian. Most boys tend to worship their fathers, but our little guy worships you. He thinks you are a super hero, and I agree. I know you don't feel like it, but you are. And you will heal and feel better."

"Can we go and get Christian and leave? I don't want to stay." Olivia whimpered, as she clung tightly to Nick.

"Are you sure? You don't want to take pictures and-"

"I don't want to be here. Please." Olivia begged.

"I'll go grab the kid and we can go home."

///

Olivia and Nick curled up together in their bed, with a curly haired little boy snuggled between them. Olivia ran her fingers through Christian's hair for several long moments, before lifting her eyes and looking at her boyfriend.

"It's scary to think that this almost went up into smoke." She whispered.

"What?" Nick whispered back, because they didn't want to risk waking their little man.

"If we didn't make it out of that building alive, Christian would have lost us... our happy life would have been laying in those ashes, and it's scary because I'm not ready, and never will be ready for our life to end."