Trauma

She sat on the curb of the road as her heart pounded hard in her chest and blood dripped from her hands. As she sat there figuring out what happened, she couldn't even wrap her head around what had happened. 

She just kept thinking about if she wouldn't have been able to climb out of her car before the truck hit it if she would still be alive. Her whole life had flashed before her eyes, and she had no idea at all what to do next.

"Ma'am?" A soft voice questioned, as the officer squatted down in front of her. She kept her eyes focused at the asphalt between his shoes because she didn't want to see another person's face right now. She just wanted to be alone.

"You are in shock, ma'am. I'm going to help you to an ambulance and take you to the hospital. We need to get you checked out. Your car was hit by a van." He spoke, as he reached out and gently touched the woman's shoulders. As soon as he was touching her arms, he could feel that she was shaking. He didn't know if it was just from the shock or from something else. 

She just let her body be helped up, but she didn't seem to be in her body anymore. It was like she was hovering above the whole scene. She could see the bodies laying on the ground covered in sheets, and she could still hear the dripping of gas from the truck that had barrelled into her car.

She could hear the soft whimpering of another victim, but she couldn't force herself to look. She didn't want to see the aftermath of the pile up that almost took her life.

"Where did that blood come from?" An EMT questioned, as the woman was forced to sit on a gurney and was strapped down so she didn't get hurt on the ride to the hospital.

"No idea. Just get her to the hospital in one piece. I've gotta stay here and wait for the ME to show up." The officer spoke, before reaching out and gently touching the woman's arm.

"You'll be okay. I'll come to check on you later. Alright?" He spoke gently, but she didn't even nod. He didn't know if she heard him at all, but he hoped she did.

///

People walked around the ER, but all she could see was a blur. She managed to distinguish the different colored scrubs, but she didn't manage to see faces or answer questions. She just sat numbly as the blood dried on her hands and as tears trickled down her cheeks.

"We got a call about a pile-up accident, but we don't know why." A familiar voice spoke, and for the first time since the woman was brought in, she spoke.

"Elliot." She breathed, and the nurse standing beside her turned to look at her.

"Elliot? Who is Elliot?" The nurse questioned quietly, but her patient didn't reply. But she could tell that she was listening to the sounds around her now.

"Detective Stabler, there was a badge found on the scene and we don't know who it belongs too. That's why we called. 6 people were killed in the accident, only 3 survived. We didn't know if one of the deceased is a cop." A doctor spoke, and the patient turned to look at the open trauma room door.

"It's Elliot." She spoke, and the nurse quickly left the room and saw two detectives standing with the doctor outside of the trauma room.

"Are one of you Elliot? My patient responded to hearing a voice and she hasn't said a thing since she was brought in." 

"I'm Elliot. What does she look like?" Elliot questioned, as Fin shifted closer to his partner for the night.

"Brunette, middle-aged, brown eyes. There is a scar on her head, it's zigzag." The nurse spoke, and Elliot and Fin quickly moved past her and into the room.

They froze when they saw Olivia on a hospital bed. Her hair was matted with blood, and they could see the dry blood on her hands and on her clothes. She looked so small laying in that bed.