Melody

Olivia sat on the couch in her room, as tears streamed down her cheeks. The windows in the room were allowing the lights of the ambulance and the police car into the room, and even when Elliot went and shut the blinds to give him and his wife some more privacy, it didn't help.

"The officers told me that we have to go down to the station so they can keep us updated," Elliot spoke, and Olivia shook her head.

"No." She whispered, and Elliot frowned.

"It wasn't your fault." He spoke, but he knew she had stopped listening. She was only thinking about their small daughter. 

"I-i feel asleep. I didn't mean to." She whimpered, and Elliot quickly shook his head.

"Don't say anything else. I'm going to get us a lawyer just in case. Let's just go to the station, not their's, ours."

///

Olivia fell asleep in the cribs at the precinct. Amanda was sitting up and gently caressing her hair as she sleeps because she didn't want anything to do with Elliot. What had happened was horrible, something no one had expected or could've predicted. It was a tragedy, to say the least.

"You stayed in here?" Olivia yawned, as she woke up and sat up. She ran her hands over her face, as Amanda nodded.

"You needed me, so I stayed. Wanna talk?" She asked, and Olivia bit her lip as she grabbed her necklace and ran her fingers over it. It was brand new. Elliot had gotten her a necklace with the May birthstone on it so even when Olivia was at work, she'd have a little piece of their daughter with her. It had places to add more birthstones as they had more children, but after what happened to Melody, Olivia knew she couldn't have more children because she didn't want them to end up as their little girl had.

"I was so tired, Amanda. Melody rarely slept, and I was tired of just nursing her. And when she woke up to get nursed again, I tried to stay awake, but I couldn't." Olivia whimpered, and Amanda frowned.

"It wasn't your fault."

"I killed her, Rollins. I should've gotten up and walked around or something. I should've tried to stay awake!" Olivia sobbed. She quickly stood up and paced the room as she raked her fingers through her thick brown hair.

"It's happened before, and it wasn't those mothers' faults either! It just happens sometimes!" Amanda exclaimed, but she couldn't really change what happened. No one could. She had a baby girl to go home to, but Olivia didn't anymore.

"I need to go." Olivia started to panic. Amanda stood quickly and shook her head.

"No, you do not. You need to be with family. Go talk to Elliot or Fin. I'm sure that Alex is almost here. Alex is one of your best friends. She will be able to help you. I promise."

"I just want my daughter. I want Melody. She was only a month old! I didn't even get to know her! What if Elliot doesn't love me anymore? What if he wants a divorce because I killed our daughter?"

"You didn't kill her!"

///

It was true, Olivia didn't kill her daughter. Olivia had been so tired that she didn't remember falling sleep with her daughter against her chest. Melody had been alive, but when she didn't wake up for her early morning feeding, that's when they found that she wasn't breathing anymore. It had been SIDS. Olivia nor Elliot were charged with the murder of their daughter because it wasn't their faults. Something just happened with their tiny daughter's body, and she had passed away.

But they no longer could find happiness within their marriage. Elliot and Olivia got a divorced and each started different lives, but each still held onto the memory of their little girl in their hearts and minds.

Nearly 5 years after losing their daughter, Elliot and Olivia found themselves in Manhattan on the same weekend, and at the same exact time. They saw each other across a crowded street, and Elliot dialed Olivia's number. She smiled as she pulled it from her pocket and answered the call.

"Hey, stranger." Olivia breathed, and Elliot laughed softly.

"Hey. What are you doing back in Manhattan?" He asked.

"I came to be near Amanda. She just had another little girl, Bethany."

"That's great. Uh, I love seeing you from a distance, but would you like to come back to my hotel? We can talk." Elliot spoke, and Olivia nodded.

"I'd love to. Meet me at the corner."

Elliot and Olivia quickly made it to the crosswalks. Elliot jogged across the street and as soon as he made it to Olivia, he wrapped his arms around her and held her close. Olivia placed a soft kiss to his cheek as she stepped back.

"I've missed you so much." She spoke, and he nodded in agreement.

"Being away from you has probably been the hardest part of our divorce." 

///

Elliot and Olivia sat together in Elliot's hotel room. They were making out, something that they both were greatly enjoyed, but then the sounds of Olivia's phone going off stopped the passionate session.

"Who is it?" Elliot asked as he wiped some of her lipstick from the corner of his mouth.

"My son. He's about to head to school." She spoke, and Elliot's eyes went wide.

"You have a son?" He asked, and she nodded.

"I adopted him. His name is Luka. He's five." Olivia smiled. She unlocked her phone and answered it.

"Hey, baby. How are you this morning?"

Elliot listened to Olivia talking to her son for nearly 15 minutes. Once she was done, she sat her phone on the bed and looked at Elliot.

"I still think of her every day of my life. I just met Luka and had to adopt him. He was a year old when I got him."

"I think about her every day too. I just haven't been able to move on."

"I haven't moved on. I'm still so freaking in love with you. I just have a son now. He needed me, and I needed him."

"Do you still need me?" Elliot asked, and Olivia nodded.

"I do."

///

Elliot and Olivia walked hand in hand through the cemetery. Olivia had a bouquet of flowers to sit on her daughter's grave, and Elliot had a small pink teddy bear. They got to where they had laid their daughter to rest, and they sank down in front of it. Olivia brushed the dirt off of the headstone, before laying the flowers on the dirt in front of it. Elliot placed the teddy bear next to them before looking at Olivia.

"I live in Chicago now. But, where ever you live can be my home." He breathed, and Olivia smiled softly.

"I live here, in Manhattan. And it's always been your home."

"We love you, Melody. That will never change." Olivia breathed before she kissed her hand and placed it against the headstone. Elliot did the same before standing and helping Olivia to her feet.

They walked away together, fingers intertwined again. The beginning of their end started when they lost their daughter. But the beginning of their brand new start started when they both realized that they were still parents to a beautiful baby girl, and still loved each other, and their daughter, more than words could ever possibly describe.

Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment all of your feedback below!