The Train

Elliot laid face down in his bed as tears ran down his cheeks. He knew what was coming to him after he got a B on his latest test. Elliot heard the front door slam shut, and his father yelled his name. Elliot climbed off his bed and squared his shoulders before wiping the tears from his cheeks. He was going to have to take the punishment like a man, something his father always claims that he isn't.

"Elliot!" Joseph yelled again, as Elliot walked down the stairs.

"Sorry, sir," Elliot spoke, as he tried not to start crying again. His head still hurt from where his father had hit him last time.

"What did you get on your test today, son?" Joseph asked.

"A B, sir," Elliot whispered.

"What?" Joseph huffed.

"I'm sorry, sir. I tried my hardest to pass the test, but I couldn't. It was a hard test." Elliot breathed.

"First you didn't make the football team, the basketball team, nor the baseball team. Then you start failing all of your tests. You are so dumb. You aren't athletic like your brothers and sisters and you aren't smart like them either. No wonder your mother left, because she was so fucking embarrassed about having you as her kid."

"Dad, I'm trying! I'm sorry!" Elliot cried, which just made his father angrier. Joseph grabbed his son by the back of his neck and squeezed tightly.

"You know what the punishment is, Elliot. And I thought I told you to call me sir because I'm embarrassed to be your father too." Joseph growled.

"I'm sorry, sir!" Elliot cried, but it didn't help. Joseph was drunk and decided that once again, his son was going to be a punching bag.

///

Elliot walked into school the next morning, his arm hanging limply by his side, his face bruised and cut, and he knew that at least one of his ribs was broken. 

His classmates looked at him but didn't speak. A few of them had reported what they saw to the principal and one even reported it to the police, but nothing happened. What happened between a son and a father in the privacy of their home wasn't a problem for the school to deal with.

Elliot walked over to his locker and tried to open it, but he couldn't because the only arm that wasn't either broken or dislocated, was holding his backpack.

"What's your combo?" A girl asked as she stood beside Elliot. Her hair was cut short and it was messy. Her hair was mostly hidden under a beanie and she was wearing all black. Elliot looked at her and noticed that they had matching black eyes.

"What?" Elliot asked.

"The combo for your locker? I'll help you put it in." She replied.

"16-19-26." Elliot spoke, and the girl put the combo in before opening the door for him.

"Here. Want me to carry your books?" She asked.

"I haven't seen you around before... what's your name?" Elliot asked.

"I'm Olivia Benson, we have been going to school together. I've changed." Olivia spoke. She grabbed his books before taking her free hand and unzipping his bag. She dropped them into his bag before zipping it up.

"You used to smile all the time. And I distinctly remember you wore a pair of yellow converse to school every day." 

"Yeah, I did. But that's in the past. So, go to class." Olivia spoke, before walking away. She made it halfway down the hall before sighing.

"I go by Liv now, by the way." She spoke, without even a smile on her lips or in her eyes.

Elliot could see that pained look in her eyes, the same as the look in his.

///

Olivia went home and was beaten by her mother and her mother's boyfriend. Blood ran from her split lip, and onto her black t-shirt. She ran into her bedroom and slammed the door as she took her beanie off. She threw it onto her bed and walked to her mirror. She grabbed a tissue and wiped the blood away, before grabbing another and dabbing at the blood that was oozing from the cut underneath her eye.

This was the last straw. She was so numb that she didn't cry anymore, and just getting out of the house for 8 hours a day wasn't enough. She wanted to go away, far away. She walked over to her bed and lifted up the mattress. She grabbed an envelope full of money that she had been adding to since her mother started to date the asshole she's with now.

But as Olivia looked out of the window of the dirty and small house that they had, she looked out and saw Elliot looking back at her. This was the first time that she realized that the small, and surprisingly well-kept house next door was one that Elliot lived in. The crying and screams were from him, not some small child as she thought.

She opened up her window, and he opened his too.

"What's happening?" He asked, and she frowned.

"My mother and her boyfriend are home so I'm gonna get my ass kicked again tonight. Third time today." She spoke.

"Do you ever want to run away?" He questioned, and Olivia nodded.

"Yeah, and I am. Tonight, after my mom and her bastard of a boyfriend are asleep and high as fuck." She spoke.

"You are?" Elliot asked, and she nodded.

"I have about a thousand dollars. I've saved up, stole a bit, but I'm leaving." She spoke.

"Can I come with you?" Elliot asked, and Olivia swallowed hard.

"Why'd your mom leave? I don't see her anymore." Olivia spoke.

"She's depressed and sad. She's in a hospital upstate, and she's never coming back home. My dad keeps telling me that it's my fault because I'm stupid, and I'm at the point where I'm starting to believe him."

"I'm leaving at midnight. There is a train out of town towards the west coast. I'm gonna go there and find a job, get a place." Olivia spoke.

"Having two people paying rent is better than one," Elliot spoke.

"Yeah, you're right. Pack up and get as much money as you can."

///

Olivia and Elliot sat together on the train platform. The train was running late, but neither Olivia nor Elliot was scared about their parents finding out. They knew that they weren't going to be missed, and both of their parents would be better off without them.

"So what are we gonna do when we get to where we are going?" Elliot asked as he leaned back a bit.

"Probably find jobs first, crash in a hotel for a night or two," Olivia replied.

"And if I find a girl I want to bring back to the room?" Elliot asked.

"I'm sure that the only girl that will be in our room is me. Here's the train."

"And if you fall madly in love with me?" Elliot questioned.

"Then I guess it's a good thing that we are leaving together then, huh?"

Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment all of your feedback below! :D