A Preschool Promise

Many years ago, two little brown haired kids sat together under a large oak tree. Where they were sitting, no one else was around. Many kids were playing on all of the playground equipment, but the little boy and girl were too busy talking to even want to play with all of the other kids.

"Move in with me and my Mommy and Daddy," Elliot spoke, as he smiled at Olivia.

"My Mommy wouldn't let me." She sighed, as she played with the hem of her dress. Elliot reached out and pushed her pigtail away from her neck and frowned when he saw the large black and blue bruise the shape of a handprint on her skin.

"But my Mommy and Daddy wouldn't hit you." He spoke, before grabbing her hand and squeezing it.

"I'm okay, Elliot. I'll be okay." She sighed. They sat in silence for a while, before Elliot smiled. His two front teeth were missing, so his little smile was even more adorable than usual.

"Let's get married! I can protect you!" He exclaimed.

"Married?" Olivia stumbled over the word. She didn't know what married meant, because her mother wasn't even married.

"Yeah, it'd be like my Mommy and Daddy! We'd live together and have a house. And I could go work on a train and you could be a stay at home Mommy!" Elliot squealed, and Olivia shook her head.

"No." She huffed.

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want to!" She cried. Elliot frowned, before leaning closer to her.

"What if we were older?" He asked.

"Yeah." She replied.

"So by the time we are Miss Gale's age we can get married! You know as long as you don't fall in love with Davey Jones." Elliot huffed, as he looked over at the biggest preschooler he knew, and the one that picked on everyone.

"He's mean, Elliot! I could never love him!" She exclaimed. Elliot smiled before hugging Olivia. He stood and ran around and gathered dandelions from all around the playground, and he handed them to Olivia. Then he grabbed a long piece of grass and sang the song he did every time he tied his shoes, and he tied it around Olivia's finger.

"There!" He exclaimed, and Olivia nodded excitedly.

"Alright, play time is over!" Miss Gale exclaimed, and Elliot stood up and grabbed Olivia's hand before they went sprinting towards the door.

///

Elliot walked through the doors of the squad room and prepared himself for meeting his new partner. He was nervous because he lost his old partner when he was caught doing drugs and gambling away his life savings.

"Stabler, Captain wants you in his office. Your new partner is here." Cassidy spoke, as he leaned back in his desk chair and tossed balled up pieces of paper into Monique's garbage can.

"Great." Elliot sighed. He took his suit jacket off and put it on the back of his chair before walking towards Cragen's office. He knocked on the door before opening it.

"Needed to see me, Captain?" Elliot asked, and Cragen stood and nodded.

"Yeah, Elliot, this is Olivia Benson. Olivia Benson, this is Elliot Stabler, your new partner." Cragen spoke, and Olivia stood up from her chair and made eye contact with her partner. She felt her heart start to pound out of her chest and her palms got sweaty.

"Geez, you look..." Elliot couldn't describe what he felt when he saw Olivia again. He looked at her for a moment longer, before smiling.

"I'll show you your desk."

///

Olivia and Elliot were sent out for a stakeout, and it gave the two time together.

"So, you are a detective." Elliot smiled, and Olivia nodded as she looked over at him. She let her eyes look down at her left hand, and she smiled a bit when she noticed there was no wedding band.

"Yeah, I'm a detective. I thought you were going to be a train conductor?" She teased, and he laughed softly.

"Yeah, I changed my mind. So, how are you? Married? Tons of babies?" He asked, and Olivia shook her head.

"No. No kids. Uh, you?" She asked.

"Divorced. I have a daughter, Maureen. She's my everything, and her mother is out of the picture completely." He replied, and Olivia smiled softly.

"Do you remember what we promised each other?" Olivia asked, and Elliot nodded.

"I've thought about it every day of my life. I believe that Miss Gale was about 5 years younger than we are now but better late than never huh?"

"What?" Olivia questioned.

"You know that I meant it when I said I'd marry you when we were older, right?"

"You really did..." She trailed off, as she started to blush.

Back in preschool, Olivia was just trying to keep breathing. Her mother was drunk and abusive, and the only good time she had was when she attended school. She got to spend time with her best friend, and she got to nap and not be scared of what would happen if her mother saw her sleeping.

"What were you doing when you moved to your new school?" Elliot asked, which brought Olivia out of her thoughts.

"The only reason I moved was that I was adopted. I kept my old last name just in case you looked for me... uh, I moved to Buffalo. I have a mom and a dad, who are madly in love, and I have two older brothers and two younger ones." Olivia grinned.

"That's amazing, Liv." He smiled, using her nickname.

"You haven't called me that in years!" Olivia exclaimed, and Elliot smiled.

"So, when is our wedding date?" He teased, and Olivia looked over at him and smiled a bit. She reached over and gently patted his knee before sighing softly.

"I'm going to go get some coffee. Want some?"

"Yup. Black though, nothing fancy in it."

<^>

Elliot drove Olivia home after work, and he sat in the car with her. They didn't speak, but both were thinking a lot. Elliot was honestly being truthful about wanting to marry Olivia. He only married Kathy because he knocked her up, but he didn't regret having Maureen. She is the love of his life, and now that Olivia was here and his partner, he knew he wanted to keep his promise instead of breaking it.

"My parents... they are going to want to meet you," Olivia spoke, and Elliot quickly turned his head to look at her.

"What?" He questioned. His eyes grew in size, and that's when he realized he hadn't been that surprised in a while.

"Well, you and I made a promise to each other, Elliot. And I've dated before, but it always stayed in the back of my head. I felt like I was cheating on you." She whispered.

Elliot reached over and ran his fingers through her hair. He pulled her close and kissed her deeply. She ran her fingers over his cheeks and continued to kiss him. They did this for a while before Elliot pulled away slowly.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow. Goodnight, Liv." He spoke, as he unlocked the doors. Olivia leaned forward and kissed him again before smiling.

"Goodnight, Elliot."

Hey guys! Thanks for reading, and please vote and comment all of your feedback below! :D