Loss

Olivia quickly ran out of the precinct as she yelled her husband's name. He was getting into an SUV to head to out for an undercover placement, and Olivia didn't know when Elliot would get back. 

"Liv, I gotta go." Elliot frowned as he climbed out of the vehicle and walked over to his wife. Olivia quickly wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him deeply. Elliot placed his hands to his wife's waist and held her as close as possible.

"I needed to say goodbye again... all I know is that you are going undercover, but nothing more. I don't know when you'll come home or if that will ever happen... I couldn't let you leave without telling you something." Olivia sniffled, as tears slipped down her cheeks.

"Baby, I'm coming back. I'm not leaving you and Tucker forever. Just for a bit. So whatever you need to tell me, it can wait." Elliot smiled. He kissed Olivia again softly before moving to get into the vehicle. Olivia stopped him by grabbing his arm as tears poured down her cheeks.

"El, I'm pregnant."

"What?" Elliot asked with wide eyes.

"I took a test this morning, and it came back positive. We are finally having another baby, but you are going to miss most of my pregnancy." Olivia whimpered.

"Baby, I am so happy. I love you so much, and I will be back before this baby is born. I promise. Take care of yourself and our little ones."

"I love you too." Olivia sobbed, as Elliot kissed her forehead one last time. He got into the SUV and it drove off quickly. Olivia doubled over and let out a painful sob.

"Liv, it's okay. He'll be back." Fin spoke, as he quickly came to Olivia's side.

"If he doesn't... he'll be leaving me alone with two babies."

///

Elliot ended up deeper in his under cover placement than he actually thought he'd end up. But no matter how long he was gone, every day he woke up and prayed for his wife and children. He was hoping that his wife and children were doing good, that they were healthy, and that they were surviving his absence well.

He came back after over a year of being gone, and as soon as he was released and sent back to New York, he went straight to the precinct to find his wife. 

"Can I help you?" Fin asked, as soon as he saw Elliot walk through the doors. Elliot had grown out his beard and hair, so he looked like a different person.

"Fin, it's me. Stabler. And I'm looking for Liv." Elliot smiled.

"Stabler? Wow, we didn't know when we'd see you again." Fin laughed, before giving Elliot an awkward hug. Once they stepped back, Elliot was still looking at Fin for an answer to where his wife was.

"So where's Liv? Is she at home with Tucker and the baby?" Elliot asked, and Fin swallowed hard as he nodded.

"Yeah, she's taking extended leave. Uh, do you want me to warn her that you are home?"

"No, please don't do that. I'm going to go out and surprise her. It's nice seeing you, man." Elliot smiled.

"It's nice seeing you too."

///

Elliot raced out to the house he shares with his wife. He didn't even waste time to get her flowers, because all he wanted to do was see her, Tucker, and their new baby.

"Fin?" Olivia asked, as she walked down the stairs after hearing the front door unlock.

"Nope, it's just me." Elliot smiled.

"El?" Olivia whispered, and Elliot nodded.

"Yup! I'm finally back." Elliot chuckled. Olivia started to sob as she stumbled down the stairs. She threw herself into her husband's arms. 

"I-i missed you so much. I really n-needed you." Olivia whimpered.

"Baby, I'm back now. I want to know everything that I missed. I need to know about our new baby!" Elliot exclaimed, which just made his wife cry harder.

"S-something happened."

"What?" Elliot asked, as he held his wife away from his body.

"We lost a baby."

"We lost a baby?" Elliot whispered as tears burned his eyes.

"I went almost full term with twins... two beautiful baby boys... our first son came out perfectly healthy but the other didn't." Olivia whimpered.

"He passed away?"

"Before he was born... no one knows why, but he didn't make it. I'm so sorry, El. I didn't do what I was supposed to do. You told me to take care of the babies and Tucker, and I lost our little guy."

Elliot looked at his wife for a few moments before stepping away from her. He was shocked and didn't know what to do at all.

"El." Olivia whispered.

"W-where is Tucker and our other son? What is his name?"

"Uh, Thomas Elliot... they are both upstairs napping. I was just cleaning up some stuff when you showed up." Olivia breathed.

"Liv, I don't know what to say or do... this is just a huge shock and it breaks my heart to know that you had to go through this all alone. And that I never got to even hold our son."

"I got to hold him for hours, El. He was so small and he had such cute and chubby cheeks. I have pictures-"

"I don't want to see those right now. I just want to see the boys and take a shower." Elliot mumbled.

"El, I'm so sorry."

"Yeah, me too."

///

Elliot took a shower and shaved after seeing Tucker and meeting Thomas. He sat on the edge of his bed, as he hung his head and cried quietly. He never did expect to lose a child, especially since it took him and Olivia many tries to just get Tucker and the twins.

"These are the pictures of Gabriel. I have a lock of his hair and his hospital hat... I don't know what you want or don't want... so I'll just leave this with you." Olivia breathed.

"I just can't believe this happened to us. How we lost a son." Elliot whispered.

"I couldn't either, but it happened. It still hurts like hell, and now it seems to sting really bad again because I have to watch you grieve too."