Chapter 2

Both of the children were led into the house with swollen eyes and tears, but they remained silent.

Xu Ran laid the two children side by side on the bed and dried their tears with his sleeves, only to notice that the children's faces were turning steadily red due to the clothing's bad fabric. Xu Ran has no choice but to withdraw his hands, a little upset.

Tangtang and Guoguo both noticed that their dad was acting strangely today. When they were bullied in the past, their dad would run out and defend them, but he would never hug them or wipe their tears. Tangtang and Guoguo were both very happy, even though their dad made their faces hurt badly.

Tangtang jumped off the bed and said, "Dad, don't cry. I'm not hurt."

Just as Xu Ran was about to say something, Guoguo also jumped down, "Dad, I'm not hurt as well."

Xu Ran's heart was weakened when he thought the two children were genuinely thoughtful.

He knelt down and carefully wiped the two children's faces "You're both very well-behaved. It was all because I was useless, causing you to be bullied. But you two don't have to be bothered any more. Because I'm by your side, no one will be able to bully you in the future."

Regardless of whether or not what Xu Ran said was accurate, the two children both nodded heavily, placing their complete faith to their dad.

Xu Ran made the two kids wash their faces before taking Tangtang's clothing to see if he had been wounded earlier.

Then Xu Ran was astounded to see Tangtang's body, which was black and bruised and covered with several wounds that seemed to be bruises.

The weather had turned hot, and the children were wearing less clothing. Even if the children were shoved heavily on a muddy field, it was certain that they would be seriously injured, particularly because their skin was vulnerable.

Seeing Tangtang's physical state, Xu Ran removed Guoguo's clothing as well, only to discover that Guoguo was also wounded. Fortunately, Guoguo's fracture was not almost as serious as Tangtang's. Tangtang seemed to have been guarding Guoguo at all times.

Xu Ran could only spit on the wound because they didn't have any medication at home. Xu Ran was even much sadder by the fact that the two boys were courageous enough not to cry out of pain.

Xu Ran put their clothing on after applying saliva to both children's bruises. "Tangtang, Guoguo, listen up, I have something really important to tell you," he said, staring at the two children with a serious expression.

The two kids exchanged looks before turning to Xu Ran and nodding. "Dad, we're listening," Tangtang said.

"So, I'd like to tell you the truth and say that I'm no longer foolish, but we can't tell anyone else. It's just you two who are sure of it. After that, I'll try to split up with Grandpa and his family, and we'll be on our own. Is that all right?"

"Dad, can't we tell daddy?" Guoguo hurriedly asked Xu Ran as soon as he ended his speech.

Xu Run rubbed his temples and patted his head gently "I'll inform him. What you have to remember is to keep it a secret."

"Alright, dad, we get it.."

Tangtang and Guoguo were both too young to truly comprehend the difference between foolish and not foolish, so there was no evidence of them being overjoyed. Xu Ran's thoughts about being together on their own were all they cared about.

Liu Tong arrived home about midday, holding a pheasant in one hand and two packets of medicine for Xu Ran in the other.

Zhang Yue happened to see Liu Tong enter the house and was pleased to see the pheasant in Liu Tong's hand. They've been so busy in the fields lately that Liu Tong hasn't been able to go hunting in the hills, leaving them without meat for a long time.