Chapter 88

Business

In addition to tea, the tea house offered a variety of pastries, the most of which Xu Ran had never heard of. He didn't know what those individuals liked to eat, so he chose a few with interesting names. When it came to tea, Xu Ran did not disappoint. You couldn't make an omelet without breaking eggs, as the adage goes. Each individual was assigned to a group of persons.

It was vital to build a good interpersonal relationship.

Qin Shuwu must have sent out a lot of people to invite customers. Xu Ran hadn't waited long in the tea house before Qin Shuwu with a group of people came in.

Xu Ran greeted them as soon as they walked in. "Fellow gentlemen, Brother Qin. I've reserved a seat at the table. Please come inside." Xu Ran extended his hand in a traditional greeting motion. None of these persons entered the room without their gaze lingering on him for a moment because of his stunning appearance.

Qin Shuwu presented Xu Ran first, then the others one by one once they entered. Some of these people were business associates of Qin Shuwu, while others met him for other reasons. They were typically in close contact with one another, or else Qin Shuwu wouldn't have summoned them all at once.

When everyone arrived, Xu Ran requested pastries and tea from the server. Businesspeople, on the other hand, were not particularly fussy about meals. The appearance of the pastries was unimportant as long as they were delicious. The taste came first, regardless of whether the tea was pricey or not.

The pastries that Xu Ran ordered quite catered to their appetite.

Someone even joked that Xu Ran had enquired about their preferences ahead of time. Xu Ran gave a gentle smile. "I honestly didn't think so. To be more specific, you haven't given me the opportunity to do so yet. By chance, I've hit the target today. I was concerned that you wouldn't like the meals."

"No, no, how can we dislike it? I heard that you are a scholar. You might be a high-ranking official in the future."

When it came to this topic, Xu Ran remained silent until Qin Shuwu exposed him. "You could rely on his son more than on him. He wanted to be a scholar in order to avoid paying taxes on his family's farmland. He had never considered taking more exams to become an official."

When they heard Qin Shuwu's statements, others burst out laughing, yet no one suggested Xu Ran had a poor aspiration. Xu Ran was a little embarrassed as Qin Shuwu talked about it in front of so many people. "I'm too sluggish to take the exam again because I don't have much skill and can't be a government official."

Someone nodded and said, "Brother Xu is a man of true disposition. Being an official isn't that easy. It's better to live a peaceful life as our ordinary people. Brother Xu, there's no wine here. I'll toast you with tea instead of wine. I just appreciate someone as true as you."

"Come on, count me in."

"Count me in."

A group of people came to join them.

Xu Ran also drank up his tea freely.

After drinking, Qin Shuwu began to talk.

"Hey, hey, hey, I do not only invite you guys here for tea today. There's a good stuff to recommend to you. Xu Ran, bring the chess over and show them."

Xu Ran got up and took three chess sets over, which were respectively of large, medium and small sizes. Then he handed out to each of them an instruction booklet.