Chapter 165

Once the weather turned cold, it was difficult to get hot again. There was a piercing cold wind for several days. You could see a large area of whiteness on the land every morning when you awoke, not to mention the mountains, which were colder than Yanzhou. Even if it was freezing, there was no other option. 

The grain had to be carried back because otherwise it would have frozen and broken on the mountain. Aside from the fact that it couldn't be eaten, it would be a calamity if the seeds failed to germinate the following year.

The gloves that Xu Ran had asked Liu Tong to make last year could be used at this time. Everyone who went up the hill to pick up the corn got a pair of gloves from him. Because it was not so cold, everyone got to work quickly. 

When he observed everyone in the field hurriedly plucking up the corn with gloves, Xu Ran was overjoyed since he always had the impression that he had foresight. Of course, this was purely imagination. They wouldn't have to pick up the corn with gloves if he truly had foresight.

The corn was transferred in five or six days, and a large number of personnel were deployed. The corns were all placed within the mansion, and they were unobtrusively brought in through the back door. 

Despite the fact that the maize had been delivered to the mansion, it still needed to be processed. It had to be peeled and hung out to dry in the sun. Peeling the grain was still their responsibility. Everyone arrived in the morning and left in the evening. It took three or four days for them to start peeling the fish.

When it came to drying, drying in the sun was virtually impossible; however, being blown dry by the wind was more feasible, albeit the impact was not the same as drying in the sun. Nobody knows when the wind will die and the sun will shine again. They could only set the corn on the ground and wait for the water vapor to evaporate before planting it. 

Xu Ran was also concerned about the corn, but there was nothing he could do about it no matter how concerned he was. The term "technology" has not yet been used in this context. All he could do was wait and wait for God to bless him and allow the sun to shine.

According to King Yan, even in September, there were still a few days of hot weather each year, so all they had to do was wait for those few days and not be concerned. Xu Ran, who had been apprehensive, was happy to see that King Yan was not in a rush. If he couldn't make it, he'd write to Zhuo Yun and the others and request that they give them some seeds. Yamen runners could, after all, send bags as well as letters in this era. As a result, Xu Ran assumed he had not received a response from Zhuo Yun and others. Is it possible that the Yamen runners are sending the letter as slowly as they were when they arrived in Yanzhou? Going back and forth would take over a year.

Xu Ran seemed a little concerned at this point. Although the plague in the south had been healed in a matter of months, it was difficult to predict what would happen next. He was in Yanzhou and had no idea if Zhuo Yun and the rest were still alive. Xu Ran was unknowingly thinking about the response he didn't get, and that what he was worried about would actually happen.

King Yan was just passing by and saw Xu Ran in a daze, he patted him and sked, "Xu Ran, didn't I tell you not to worry about it? Why do you still look so worried? "

Xu Ran shook his head. "No, I'm not worried about this. I'm worried about something else."

"Oh, what is it? Tell me, maybe I can help you."

Xu Ran looked at King Yan and said in his heart, "What I need was really your help."

The two of them entered the living room, where a brazier was placed in the living room. They sat face to face, then Xu Ran said, "I still have relatives and friends in Xu Village, as you are aware. I wrote them a letter when I first arrived in Yanzhou and had it forwarded to them, but I have yet to receive a response. It'll be a year in November, and I'm concerned that something has happened to Xu Village; are you aware of this?"