Chapter 55

THE STRAWBERRY

"Didn't we just intend to hire someone to help us, Ran? Instead, why did you decide to buy someone back? You've also bought two people. What was the total amount of money you had to spend?" Liu Tong drew Xu Ran aside and inquired anxiously.

Xu Ran took Liu Tong's hand in his and told him not to get too worked up. Then he went on to say, "I did not spend a lot of money. Tongtong, pay attention to what I'm doing. Buying people to work for us is a good investment. I was unaware of it before Zhuo Yun informed me of it today. Buying people makes sense to me as well."

"What did he say to you?" Liu Tong asked.

"Zhuo Yun pointed out that employing workers nowadays is expensive, and the employees aren't as dependable as those who can be bought back. After all, we still have the indentured workers' contract, which would be more beneficial to us. You are aware that we are currently occupied. Soon, we'll have to harvest wheat and strawberries. We need hands to work, so buying the staff back is a good option."

"Then why did you buy two? Isn't it good to buy one only?"

Xu Ran touched Liu Tong's hand and comforted him, "I intended to buy one, but those individuals did not meet my expectations. Only Shao Yu remained at the end, and he has also since given birth to a child. He was, however, sold with Gao Quan. I didn't think it made a difference if I purchased one or two workers, so I bought all of them back together. More citizens, in my opinion, equals more support. But, Tongtong, are you concerned that I won't be able to feed them both?"

Liu Tong gave him an angry stare, "I'm just worried that buying workers may cost a lot of money. You know that our family doesn't have much money now."

Xu Ran smiled, "Don't be worried about this. It didn't cost a lot of money. You will be able to relax. Gao Quan will accompany me to work in the field starting tomorrow, while Shao Yu will look after you at home and do the housework!

Liu Tong nodded, "Alright. Just follow your idea, but tell me why you bought these two people back."

Xu Ran nodded and replied, "Let's talk on the bed, shall we? Since their child was eaten by wolves, Gao Quan and Shao Yu are poor..."

Gao Quan and Shao Yu slept well here at night. Xu Ran gave them various tasks the next day. It was unbearably hot outside. Mr. Hu, Tangtang, and Guoguo were not allowed to work in the field by Xu Ran. He would only allow them to mow the lawn in the morning.

Xu Ran thought that the Ge'er, Shao Yu, was not as powerful as a man, so he didn't have to work in the fields when the weather was hot. He just wanted to help with household chores at home.

Gao Quan was taken to the strawberry fields by Xu Ran. Gao Quan had never worked on a farm before, and he was inept at it. Xu Ran, on the other hand, remained silent and gradually showed him how to do it. Gao Quan was a smart guy, so he could get right to work on his task.

His only flaw was that he had trouble grasping his own strength. He would sometimes pull down strawberries that were growing large and round by mistake. All those fruits made Xu Ran feel sorry for them. Gao Quan felt sorry for all of them as well. After pulling out more than ten fruits, he was finally able to control his strength.

They worked in the field for the whole morning, and their productivity was more than double that of Xu Ran working alone.

Gao Quan was a man of few words, but he still answered Xu Ran's questions one by one.