Chapter 169

Tangtang rode his horse the entire distance. His sole thought was to get faster and faster, to the point that he almost collided with the approaching Lu Qi. "Tangtang, have you met the barbarians?" Lu Qi inquired, seeing the blood smears on Tangtang's face and then looking at the tattered clothes and the large knife in his hand.

Tangtang gasped and said, "Uncle Lu Qi, go save Guoguo. They were on the other side of the meadow. Yes we met the barbarians and there were about 100 of them."

When Lu Qi heard this, he was taken aback. He didn't think Xu Ran would be surprised, but now wasn't the time to dwell on it. Guoguo was in danger, and it was critical that he be saved first.

Lu Qi said to Tangtang, "Tangtang, you lead the way, and we will follow you."

Tangtang turned his horse and started running forward without hesitation.

It wasn't far away, and they were running the entire way, so they got there quickly. However, there was no one there when they arrived, or rather, there were only a few bodies laying on the ground. Tangtang was agitated, and he couldn't care less about dismounting to inspect the dead.

 He didn't feel any pain when he touched his chest. That indicated Guoguo was still alive and well, but he had been kidnapped by these strangers.

Lu Qi approached Tangtang and patted him on the shoulder after arranging for the other men to search the area. "Don't be too worried. There isn't a single Guoguo in sight. It indicates that Guoguo is fine. It's possible that these people had no intention of killing Guoguo. They wouldn't have carried him away if Guoguo hadn't slain some of them first."

Lu Qi examined the situation from the most rational standpoint, but Tangtang refused to accept it. He was well aware of whether or not these men were out to kill him. 

They wouldn't have cut Guoguo's arm if they hadn't done so. Tangtang remained silent in response to Lu Qi's statements. He was only curious as to where they might transport him in such a short period of time. Lu Qi directed his troops to search the area, and someone shortly approached and stated. "Military counsellor, our soldiers' remains were discovered in the grass not far ahead."

Lu Qi said with a cold expression, "Lead the way. I'll go over and take a look."

The man instantly turned around and moved in front of Lu Qi, who was closely followed by Tangtang. The person watching the cow and sheep, he and Guoguo assumed, had been killed. 

They had no idea it was true, and the body had been hidden in the grass. It's no surprise they didn't notice at the time. Tangtang has now figured out why these folks were hidden in the grass. They should have been ambushing here for a long time, else they wouldn't have been able to murder so many people so quickly. The cows and sheep were guarded by at least twenty soldiers.

They killed more than twenty people in silence, and the military camp did not receive any news. It was really premeditated.

Now Tangtang was more worried about Guoguo's safety.

Lu Qi requested that the more than 20 bodies be carried out and arranged in rows, allowing others to explore the area and report anything strange as soon as it occurred. Tangtang circled the grass in search of any clues, but after a long search, he came up empty-handed.

 The only flaw was a large hole in the middle of the grass, as if it had been struck by a stone. It was so deep that the bottom could barely be seen. Tangtang didn't give this hole any thought because it was too far in the middle. He only gave it a passing glance before moving on.