Chapter 157

"Your Highness, no offence. You are a prince! How could you greet us at the gate on New Year's Eve. What if this made people suspicious?" Xu Ran began to complain to King Yan after entering the house.

King Yan didn't respond because he knew what he was doing was improper. Liu Tong didn't want to see them cause a commotion on New Year's Eve, so he grabbed Xu Ran to stop them. For the time being, Xu Ran was irritated. He was no longer upset as he said it out loud. He was perfectly OK after Liu Tong's reminder.

Seeing that Xu Ran was not angry anymore, Liu Tong smiled and offered King Yan a New Year blessing.

"Brother, happy new year!"

King Yan was giddy with delight at Liu Tong's words. Following Liu Tong, Xu Ran rolled his eyes in his head and greeted him in the same manner. King Yan was even more ecstatic. It would then be the turn of three children. Today, King Yan's face would convulse with such smiles, Xu Ran predicted. He didn't want to curse him, but he was just laughing too loudly.

Xiao Qingyun came out with the kids as soon as they had offered King Yan New Year blessings at the door. He extended his hospitality to Liu Tong when he saw him. Several other children were likewise warmly welcomed by Yan Lan and Yan Hao, with Xu Ran being the only one who received a cold shoulder.

Xu Ran retreated to the side and discreetly observed the others' lively scene. Of course, he wasn't the only one who was left out. After gaining Liu Tong's favor, King Yan was also neglected. Liu Tong was the center of attention.

King Yan was in a conflicting mood at the time. He wished Liu Tong would come over more frequently, but he expected them to come over less frequently. The motive was simple: he would divert Xiao Qingyun's attention away from him. After all, Xiao Qingyun's eyes had previously only seen him.

King Yan thought he was up against a great obstacle and couldn't conceive of a method to overcome it. He couldn't stop Liu Tong from coming over, and he couldn't make Xiao Qingyun dislike Liu Tong! This was not going to happen. After all, his younger brother had finally expressed his gratitude. As he continued to struggle innerly, Xiao Qingyun had already led his men into the room, leaving Xu Ran and King Yan staring at each other.

Xu Ran sighed helplessly, "This is the first time I experienced this feeling. Tongtong used to think of me first in all matters before."

King Yan also spread out his hands and said, "The same as you. This feeling is really bad."

The two felt helpless again.

Snickered Xiao Qingyun and Liu Tong, who were strolling in front. "Tongtong, look at the two of them," Xiao Qingyun said quietly to Liu Tong. "In ordinary times, they kept a straight face even when we chatted softly; now, we will give them a taste of being ignored."

Liu Tong felt a little bad as he remembered how Ran could never keep a straight face while he was talking to him. Xiao Qingyun guessed what Liu Tong was thinking based on his demeanor.

Xiao Qingyun said, "Tongtong, don't think too much. Just for once."

Liu Tong returned the stare of Xu Ran and his companion. He didn't care because seeing his bitter face made him laugh, therefore he didn't. Just once, as Xiao Qingyun put it. The atmosphere was short-lived. As soon as they walked into the house, it transformed. The prince on King Yan's temperament came out as soon as he sat on his throne, making people difficult to ignore him.

Xu Ran sat next to Liu Tong, who obediently let Xu Ran hold his hand while listening to Xu Ran speak with King Yan. What a 180-degree turn! Xiao Qingyun was sipping tea on the sidelines, dissatisfied once more. He stood up and was prepared to invite Liu Tong into the house for a conversation. Xu Ran agreed that the living room must be colder than their own bedroom, and he sent the youngsters off to play on their own.