Chapter 124

Both Xu Ran and Liu Tong headed back to the village head's residence based on their recollections and discovered that the village chief had returned. The village chief was displeased when he saw the dirt on Xu Ran's garments "Do you have a large amount of clothing on you? Do you enjoy changing your clothing frequently?"

Hearing this, Xu Ran felt embarrassed. He replied, "I am so sorry, village chief. I'll have to trouble you again. I'll explain this to you later. But can you allow us to take a bath first?"

"Wait there," the village chief said, turning back in disdain after another glance at them. He then proceeded to the kitchen.

Xu Ran smiled and whispered to Liu Tong, "The village chief has a sharp tongue but a tender heart. If he is really not a bad person, I will be at ease."

Liu Tong remained silent. He had never been so far away from home before. He did, however, come across such an occurrence. He clutched Xu Ran's clothing firmly, fearful that he might vanish in an instant.

Xu Ran sensed his worry and attempted to reassure him "Tongtong, this type of thing doesn't happen all of the time. Despite the fact that I have been out many times, I have never encountered this. You know how well it went the last time I sent Mr. Hu home alone. I can only say that we haven't been fortunate enough this time. You have to trust that the world is still full with good people."

When Liu Tong heard Xu Ran mention that he had never had any problems coming out before, he couldn't help but think of himself. He had never followed Xu Ran out before, but he had never faced such an occurrence. Mr. Hu died first, then Ran was regarded as a suspect, and finally he was pushed into the river and nearly drowned. Was it all due to Liu Tong's actions?

The more Liu Tong considered it, the more likely he believed it was, and he even began to split hairs on the issue.

Xu Ran noticed that something was wrong with Liu Tong. He gently patted his face, "Tongtong, what are you thinking? How can you blame yourself for this? Think about it. Wouldn't Mr. Hu die just because you came here? He was, in fact, already dead in January. Obviously, this has nothing to do with you, therefore don't waste your time on such a little issue. As you can see, I've been in a similar scenario. Do you want my heart to break for you?"

Hearing this, Liu Tong came back to himself. He then looked at Xu Ran with guilt, "Ran, I don't..."

Xu Ran interrupted him, "Of course I know you don't hope so. I know you too well. Don't you think so?"

Xu Ran assumed no one was around, so he kissed Liu Tong "From now on, Tongtong, you must be cheerful. I've decided not to buy any fruit trees at this time. We'll both be secure after we leave the village three days later! Understand? We'll have to return safe and sound."

Xu Ran said solemnly. He appeared very serious. Liu Tong took a look at him and then nodded, "Ran, I know. I will. We will go back safe and sound."

"Mm," Xu Ran nodded with satisfaction.

"The water is ready. Now is the time to take a bath! By the way, if you fell into the village river today, you are no longer required to wear your clothing. You won't be able to live tonight if you continue to wear them."

The village chief came unexpectedly at the door and addressed them both. Xu Ran and Liu Tong were both taken aback. They had not expected the village chief to be aware of their fall into the river. They couldn't understand, however, why they couldn't keep their clothing on. Is it possible that there are water ghosts in the river? Is it possible that the village chief truly knew something?

The village chief was hesitant to say anything further and walked straight inside. Liu Tong was concerned that Xu Ran would be uncomfortable in his muddy and damp clothes, so he went to the kitchen to get him some hot water.