Chapter 172

They had all the luck this time, it could be stated. They had waited three days, but the barbarians had not returned. 

The barbarians' tents had all been burned to ashes, and there were numerous charred corpses on the ground. Xu Ran felt relieved to be in this situation. It had been a long time since he and Tangtang had returned home, so Xu Ran delegated command of the soldiers in the camp to Lu Qi while he headed home with Tangtang.

Hardly had the two, who were anxious to return, gone out of the camp than they bumped into someone unexpected, Liu Tong.

Xu Ran hid his excitement, walked up to Liu Tong and asked, "Why are you here? Tangtang and I are going home today."

Seeing Xu Ran, Liu Tong gave a long-lost smile and answered, "I missed you guys, so I came over to see you. Baozi has been nagging every day. He wanted Daddy to take Dad and his brother home."

Hearing Liu Tong, Xu Ran's yearning for his family welled up from the depths of his heart. He wanted he could wrap Liu Tong in his arms and rub him into his skin right now.

However, they were in the camp. To his disappointment, Xu Ran could only think about it.

The two had talked for a while before Tangtang finally walked over to them. "Daddy."

Liu Tong took Tangtang's hand and looked at him very carefully. After a while, he said, "You look tanned."

Tangtang and Xu Ran cast up their eyes to heaven at the same time. It was so hot, and they had been under the sun every day, so how could they not have got tanned?

However, Tangtang didn't dare to say that. Instead, he said to Liu Tong, "Daddy, let's go back first! I miss home, as well as Baozi."

Liu Tong nodded immediately. "Alright, we're going back now, right now." He sounded urgent.

However, neither Xu Ran nor Tangtang were used to feeling this way. The father and son exchanged a look. Both of them could sense the concern in the other's eyes: Guoguo's accident had an impact on Liu Tong.

But...

When Xu Ran mounted his horse, he looked back. Guoguo was nowhere to be found, no matter how far they dug. Even Lu Qi admitted that when he raided the battalion commander in the barbarians' camp, he had asked someone to seek for Guoguo, but had been unsuccessful. It had been over a month since Guoguo had vanished. Hope had gone away gradually.

Tangtang and Liu Tong took the lead. Tangtang and Xu Ran had been asked about the military camp by Liu Tong, and Tangtang had chosen and offered some anecdotes that would not make Liu Tong nervous. Tangtang also purposefully omitted the portion where he commanded troops and went into battle because he didn't want to concern Liu Tong, even if he had returned safely.

These children had never lied to their Dad and Daddy, so Liu Tong believed Tangtang's words without a shadow of doubt. In the end, Liu Tong even added, "If your brother were here, he could have gone to the front too."

"Daddy..." Tangtang called gently and didn't know what to answer.

Liu Tong wiped his face and said, "It's fine. I'm just missing him. I wonder how he's going and when he will come back."

Tangtang didn't know how to respond to Liu Tong's every remark, which was loaded with his need for Guoguo. His gaze turned to Xu Ran, who was walking behind them, looking for help. Xu Ran had been distracted the entire time, but he had been listening in on Tangtang and Liu Tong's conversation, so he had a general idea of what they were talking about.