Chapter 11

Liu Tong and the others had returned home when they were already on their way home. They became worried when they noticed that the courtyard's gate was closed and that no one was inside.

They were about to leave to look for them when they saw Xu Ran returning with the kids. They not only returned, but Xu Ran was also carrying a full basket of pigweeds on his back. In their hands, each of the children held a bunch of white stuff that looked like grass roots.

Liu Tong went forward quickly to take Xu Ran's baskets. "Why did you run out?" he asked, reproachfully.

Xu Ran smiled and gave the basket to Liu Tong without saying a word.

Dahu quickly responded, "Daddy Liu Tong, Uncle Xu went out to cut some pigweeds. He's so powerful! He has a lot of Green Feed for the pigs, and there's more outside. Guoguo and the dog were there on guard. You should all go out and bring them back, Dad."

In fact, they were all shocked to see Xu Ran return with a complete basket of pigweeds on his back. When Dahu told them that there were still a lot of pigweeds left behind, they were completely taken aback. They all concluded that Liu Tong had spoiled Xu Ran for seven years by not allowing him to do anything.

The pigweeds were taken into the yard by Liu Tong. Xu An and Xu Zhen had already left the courtyard with baskets on their backs after knowing that there were still some outside.

Xu An knew where Dahu went to get pig feed on a regular basis, so he didn't ask him to lead the way.

Then Liu Qing and Wu Lan saw the roots in the children's hands and questioned, "What are these roots?"

"Daodao, what is that in your hand? Is it also Green feed for pigs?"

Wu Lan's words attracted the attention of everyone present.

Daodao was Wu Lan's Ge'er son, a year younger than Tangtang and Guoguo and just four years old.

He shook his head, "I don't know what they are. Uncle Xu asked me to take them back."

When Tangtang realized his father had no intention of explaining, he approached Daodao and said, "Daddy Wu Lan, my dad said this thing is edible, so we've taken a lot back."

"This is food? Ran, didn't you make a mistake? " Liu Tong was also surprised.

Xu Ran shook his head, "No. They are edible."

Seeing that Xu Ran was so sure, they came to believe it.

Wu Mei asked, "But Xu Ran, how should we eat them?"

"To make a salad,"

Xu Ran stopped pretending to stammer. He simply stated the facts.

Liu Tong took the houttuynia cordata from the children's hands and set it aside, he explained "We'll try them for dinner this evening because Ran said they're edible! It would be perfect if we just eat a small portion of them. If they are truly tasty, we will have a new dish in the near future."

"So, in the evening, we'll make salad. Your two families, Wu Lan and Liu Qing, will join us for dinner tonight. Doesn't Xu Ran have a lot of pigweeds? Later, each of you will return home with a basket of pig feed, so you won't have to go out in the dark tonight to get pigweeds."

Wu Lan said clearly, "Yes, fantastic! Xu Ran is slowly regaining his strength. He also helped us in aquiring of pigweeds and wild vegetables. You've made it to the end, Liu Tong."

Liu Tong was indeed very happy. Today, Xu Ran really gave him a good surprise.

Xu Ran showed Liu Tong how to make cordate houttuynia salad late at night. A fun aroma wafted through the air as Liu Tong sliced the wild vegetable. The children were all drawn in by the enticing aroma.