Side 21-22

"Qingling, do you think I could give his brother a job as well?" The Emperor asked.

Shen Qingling shook his head. "No, you cannot. Xu Qing's younger brother has no military record and no repute. If you genuinely want to give him a job, it would almost certainly result in bitterness and will only injure him."

The Emperor considered it and discovered that it was correct. Other people must have been perplexed by his decision to make a stranger an official for no obvious reason. And if he was truly capable of making achievements and advancing his career in the future, he would have the bad reputation of relying on relationships to get to the top because he had obtained his position for no reason at all. And that would be a horrible thing for him.

The Emperor thought about it for a moment and found it was improper, so he said no more about it.

Then, Shen Qingling added, "Your Highness, let's not talk about Xu Qing's younger brother. Let's talk about Xu Qing first. Do you want to give him the first name in the Royal Examination?"

The Emperor nodded. "That's what I'm thinking about. What do you think about it?"

Shen Qingling cupped his hands together. "Your Highness, forgive me if I have said anything disrespectful."

The Emperor reached out his heand and asked Shen Qingling to continue, "Qingling, you can just say it."

Shen Qingling said, "Your Highness, of course I hope he can win the first prize on the business side. And Xu Qing has the ability to win first place as well. On a personal level, however, I don't want him to be number one. With the title of "Number One Scholar," Xu Qing, a person with no experience, will have to withstand the complexities of the city while still serving the emperor. It would be extremely difficult, and what concerns me the most is that he has shown no interest in becoming an official in the last year or two."

His Highness immediately frowned. "Why? Why woulld he come to take the Spring Test when he didn't want to be an official? Didn't he know that after the Spring Test, it would be the Royal Examination?"

Shen Qingling said. "His Majesty, of course he knows, but he has his own difficulties. His brother's husband and child are still abroad and have not returned home. He wishes to participate in the Spring Test and reclaim his brother's marriage and child. The voyage is reported to be long, and the round trip takes nearly a year."

The Emperor nodded after hearing this. "This person is very affectionate."

"At the same time, I have something to confess to you, too. I fancy Xu Qing and want to be with him forever. At first I thought of asking you to grant me to marry him, but later on, I thought that me and Xu Qing were both men, so there is no difference of who marrying whom."

When he heard Shen Qingling's words, the Emperor was shocked. "Qingling, what did you say? You love Xu Qing?"

Shen Qingling nodded. "Yes, exactly. I love Xu Qing."

"But you are both men, how can you get married?"

Facing the Emperor's question, Shen Qingling smiled helplessly. "Your Highness, not only do you find this incredible, but I didn't think I would fall in love with a man at first sight. Your Highness, there's nothing we can do to stop a thing like feeling, if it comes."

The Emperor waved his hand to show that he understood, "Despite the fact that I am the king of a country, I have no authority to interfere with who you choose. I've never claimed I'd offer you a marriage because I want you to make your own decision. I will not stop you if you love Xu Qing, but Xu Qing must be mine."