Chapter 141

Xu Dawang described the events in great detail. He claimed that during the time they were carrying people from their homes to the mountain, they met no one else but Xu Ran, which he attributed to their bad luck.

The individuals who were laying on the ground could not be saved, and they could not be permitted to return to the village. It was thought that the deceased people were more contagious, therefore it was prudent to be cautious. It was also simple to deal with the dead–burn the bodies and bury them in a pit.

It was difficult to cope with Xu Dawang's family. After all, they'd spent a few days with the infected people before carrying the dead bodies for so long today. It was quite likely that I would become infected.

When Xu Ran looked at the village head, he noticed that he was frowning. He was most likely considering how to deal with Xu Dawang's family.

There were eight active young men here, not to mention their brothers, children, and elderly relatives. This family had a large number of members. Xu Dawang had his gaze fixed on the village leader as well. He was aware that the village chief was considering how to handle this household.

After a while, the village chief said, "Xu An, send some people to fetch some firewood and burn the bodies of these outlanders. Then bury the ashes.In the case of Xu Dawong, your family will no longer be permitted to reside in the village. It doesn't matter if you've been infected with the plague or not; the people aren't safe. Why don't you travel beyond the community and rent a shed for the time being? If you're clean, you may return to the village, and I'll have Doctor Liu check you."

For Xu Dawang's family, this arrangement was already ideal. After all, they were not chased out by the village chief. If they were not afflicted with the plague, they may still return. The arrangement pleased Xu Dawang much.

The one thing he didn't consider was what would happen if their entire family were afflicted with the plague. Xu Dawang's family undoubtedly realized they were wrong, so he didn't respond to anything the village chief said.

The village chief called a member of the patrol and requested that he return Xu Dawang's family and transfer their belongings out of the village. The rest, on the other hand, remained to burn the bodies. Xu Ran stayed behind to assist with the inspection. Furthermore, he need an opportunity to interrogate Xu An.

Because they didn't speak the truth when the village chief questioned them previously. Xu Ran had the impression that they were hiding something.

It turned out that Xu Ran was right about it.

Xu An said, "When we came, other than the child, everyone else was still alive.Xu Dawang and the others strangled the two brothers to death. It was too late when we arrived. The other two males were similarly squeezed around the necks and were only freed by the Xu Dawang family when we arrived.  Although they survived, they weren't too far away from death."

Xu Ran sneered, "The family looked quite well-behaved, but actually were so ruthless. All for the sake of 50 taels of silver. I assumed these people were all dead when I initially saw them carrying people. I'm afraid they've been knocked unconscious now."

Xu An said, "Who said not? It has been long said that the outlanders can't be taken in. For fifty taels of silver, they went to such lengths. They would have brought catastrophe to the entire village if it hadn't been for you, Xu Ran. Do you believe their family has been afflicted with the plague?"

Xu Ran said while adding the firewood, "It's about 90% possibility! It would be fine if they stayed in their house for a few days, but they transport people up the mountain in this manner. Even if they didn't have it before, they may become infected during this time, but don't worry, as long as we don't come into direct touch with them, everything will be OK."