Chapter 71

CHINESE CHEST

Therefore only Xu Ran was sluggish the next day whereas everyone else felt energized.

Lin Hua looked at him. "Didn't you say you would sleep early last night? Why do you look sleepy?"

Xu Ran rubbed his face. "I didn't sleep well last night. I'm fine. Let's go to the lake, and we can buy some food on the way."

The others didn't have any objections, so they headed for Green Lotus Lake.

In September, the view from Green Lotus Lake was not particularly appealing, so visitors gathered here mostly to have fun and enjoy the coolness. The lotus seed had almost been harvested, and the leaves were ready to wilt. There wasn't a lot to see.

The pavilions beside the lake, on the other hand, were bustling with activity. There were a lot of Ge'ers who could sing well. The tunes they sang seems to be enjoyable. There were also musicians and dancers who made a career by performing in public. Their performances in Green Willow Alley were far superior.

On the opposite side, it was the place where the scholar gathered. They recited poems, and displayed accomplishments of all kinds.

Xu Ran was more interested in the water in the lake.

The water in the lake was clear and cool, with fresh water flowing in and out. There were fish in the water, but they weren't particularly large. They rented a medium-sized boat, not a large or little one. They'd have to row the boat to the middle of the lake on their own if they wanted to go there.

None of the three rich young childes could row, and the carter was just a dabbler in paddling. Xu Ran had done it previously, but he hadn't rowed a boat in a long time and was unsure of himself. Xu Ran was patted by Lin Hua. "Go row the boat, Xu Ran. In any case, we can swim. We will not drown if the boat capsizes. Furthermore, because it is so hot today, we can have a bath if we fall into the water."

"Alright." Xu Ran pressed his lips and accepted the task.

He and the carter worked together and clumsily rowed the boat away. The boat sometimes shuddered suddenly, making their hearts beat faster.

There were other idle boaters in the lake who paddled around like them. They met up every now and again and exchanged a few words. They felt a lot better after going around the entire lake. Xu Ran and the carter improved their rowing skills.

Green Lotus Lake was an excellent location for seeing not only the lake's splendor but also the city's outside and inside sights. Outside the lake, there were food pedlars. These individuals were astute enough to recognize that they might profit from the chaos.

They bought from the pedlars some special food of Qingzhou County.

They did not go boating in the afternoon. Instead, they went for a walk around the lake, listening to music and admiring beautiful people, or they watched others play chess. Lin Hua and Zhao Chen returned to the inn when the weather improved, while Xu Ran and Du Xin proceeded to the clinic.

It was almost the same as the day before, but Xu Ran was absent today. Instead, he requested that the doctor give him a short medical manual to read so that when he became bored, he could recognize certain herbs. Xu Ran was treated with respect by the young doctor, who gave him a book on fundamental medical skills.

The two of them went back when it was almost dark.

On the way, Xu Ran bought a lot of things. After all, he was leaving tomorrow, and he had to buy some gifts for his family.