Chapter 98

Confession

They spent a long time digging heartleaf houttuynia herbs (also known as fish mints) and, of course, gained a lot in the end. Every household picked a few, and the old ones were buried in Xu Ran's garden, ready to sprout the following year.

Zhuo Yun and Qin Shuwen have no intention of returning. As a result, Xu Ran instructed them to choose a room for themselves, which would be reserved for them in the future.

As a result, Zhuo Yun and Qin Shuwen chose the larger room without hesitation and shifted their belongings into it.

Qin Shuwen and Zhuo Yun couldn't wait to persuade Xu Ran to make dinner after the room had been thoroughly cleaned. The major goal, of course, was to cook the houttuynia herbs.

There was some chili paste left at home, but it wasn't much. It was only enough for each of them to consume on their own. Because Liu Tong was in postpatrum confinement, spicy food was not healthy for him these days, therefore they had recently been on a bland diet.

In this instance, Xu Ran was overjoyed that he would be able to prepare something hot for dinner tonight. When Xu Ran thought about spicy food, he immediately thought of hotpot. In Sichuan province, there were relatively few people who had never had hotpot. The flavor was indescribable.

For once, Xu Ran felt it was vital to eat hotpot at home. They had a brazier as well. When the time came, he'd add more firestones, place the pot on the brazier, and stack the bricks so that the entire family could have hotpot at the same time.

The more Xu Ran considered it, the more he believed it was possible. He didn't notice he was cutting the vegetables at the time, and he cut his own finger as a result.

"Ah!" Xu Ran screamed, then tossed the cutting knife away and squeezed his finger with his other hand.

Liu Tong, who was talking to Qin Shuwen outside, immediately ran in when he heard the scream. "Ran, what's wrong?"

Xu Ran pinched his finger and said bitterly, "Tongtong, I just wanted to eat human flesh, and I didn't find a suitable one, so I cut myself."

The blood flowing from Xu Ran's finger was also noticed by Liu Tong. He couldn't help but smile when he saw Xu Ran's bitter expression and remembered what he had said. "Look at you. How did you manage to slash your own hand while chopping vegetables? Is it true that you want to eat human flesh? With Baozi in my arms, it's not practical. You must care for the wound on your own. Doctor Liu had left some gauzes in the room, and I recall seeing them. Bind your wound, and I'll ask Shao Yu's help in caring for the child. I'll cook."

Liu Tong walked away without a glance at Xu Ran. Xu Ran stuck his finger in his mouth as he glanced at Liu Tong's shrinking body, feeling out of favor.

When Liu Tong returned, he found Xu Ran still standing there in a stupor, sucking his own finger. He was both amused and astonished "Take it easy on yourself. I wasn't trying to ignore you right now. OK, I'll go grab you some gauzes."

Xu Ran nodded with grievance.

Liu Tong went to the room to get the gauzes and used water to clean the wound for Xu Ran. Then he tied it up and talked about how reckless Xu Ran was.

Xu Ran suddenly said, "Tongtong, you haven't said that to me for a long time..."

For a brief while, Liu Tong was surprised and looked up at him, only to see his solemn expression.