Chapter 63

SIMILAR

Xu Ran had finally completed one of his goals for the year by borrowing money from others, and he still had two more to achieve.

This autumn, he planned to participate in the imperial examination at the county level, which was held from September 9 to 11. He only had around a month to get ready. Shao Yu stepped in to help him with his family matters, and Gao Quan provided help with his fields. As a result, Xu Ran was free to cram for the exam.

Tangtang and Guoguo accompanied Xu Ran, so he was not alone. Xu Ran was very domineering, as he insisted on the two poor boys reading books, practicing calligraphy, and running with him every day. Tangtang and Guoguo, predictably, had had enough of such hardships and fled one day.

After searching for Tangtang and Guoguo for a few days, Xu Ran discovered them in the new house's yard, where they were practicing martial arts from Gao Quan. Yes, indeed! It's martial arts!

It astounded Xu Ran, and he quickly realized Gao Quan was not as straightforward as he seemed. Xu Ran, on the other hand, had no intention of figuring it out as long as Gao Quan did not damage his family. Furthermore, Xu Ran was open to having Gao Quan teach his children a martial art that would at the very least improve their ability to defend themselves.

After some discussion with Gao Quan, Xu Ran agreed to allow Gao Quan to continue teaching the two children martial arts. In the evening, Xu Ran inquired about Tangtang and Guoguo's willingness to learn it.

After all, learning some martial art, in Xu Ran's opinion, is often difficult, at least more difficult than studying knowledge in books. It was the first time in their lives that Tangtang and Guoguo had made opposing decisions. Tangtang favored academic knowledge, while Guoguo chose martial arts.

People's interests were naturally divided. Both martial arts and academic knowledge were valuable to acquire, and Xu Ran's only request was that they stay focused on their objectives.

Tangtang had to learn some basic skills to defend himself, even though he didn't enjoy learning martial arts. Meanwhile, even though Guoguo disliked reading, he needed to learn to read and write at the very least. The two children paid close attention to Xu Ran and kept his words in their minds, suggesting that they would not easily abandon their goals.

Xu Ran nodded with satisfaction and went back to Liu Tong.

Liu Tong was taken aback when he learned that Gao Quan was a professional martial artist, but he soon came to believe it. Gao Quan, he realized, should be like that. Xu Ran was perplexed and inquired of Liu Tong as to why.

Liu Tong said, "Well, Ran, I never mentioned my dad and daddy to you, right?"

Xu Ran nodded.

Liu Tong went on to say, "You see, my father had actually studied a martial art. He was an excellent hunter. I used to beg him to teach me martial arts when I was a child. He turned me down because I was a Ge'er. I pleaded with him many times. He finally decided to teach me how to hunt. Unfortunately, my father and daddy died not long after I began to learn it."

"Okay... but does it have anything to do with Gao Quan?" Xu Ran was confused.

"My dad's and Gao Quan's accents are strikingly similar. Despite the fact that my father was born in Liu Village, he grew up elsewhere and did not return until I was born. With my daddy and me, he returned to Liu Village."

"Do you know where this accent comes from?"

Liu Tong shook his head. "I don't know. My dad didn't tell me, and the farthest place I've ever been is the town. I have no idea."