Chapter 89

Transaction

Xu Ran returned the next morning with more chess sets for the town. He set up shop next to an elderly gentleman who was selling masks. The elderly gentleman appeared to be in excellent health. After he set up the stall, Xu Ran began to converse with him. They conversed and became acquainted. Xu Ran proposed that he teach him how to play chess.

The old man hurriedly waved his hand, "No, no. I can't read even a character. How can I play chess? It's something you scholars do."

Xu Ran drew his hand back "Nobody claims it's something only academics can accomplish, sir. Furthermore, this is something I've considered. Even the most eminent academics are unable to play this game. It's fairly straightforward. Simply observe how I put the chess pieces, and then do the same with a different color."

Xu Ran guided the old man step by step, and taught him to recognize each character. The people who came to buy masks noticed what they were doing, and many of them stayed to watch the fun.

This old man was very serious and followed Xu Ran's instructions. He even forgot to keep an eye on his own stall. A large number of people gathered to see the fun. Some individuals eventually saw what was going on and began to teach the old man.

This effortless campaign was just what Xu Ran wanted.

When the old man could play a full round with Xu Ran, the two stalls were totally surrounded by the people.

Seeing this, the old man felt embarrassed. He waved his hand and stood up to tout his masks.

Xu Ran thought it was fine, so he started to do promotion.

"Come have a look, guys. This is referred to as Chinese chess. You saw it when I was merely playing with this old man. Isn't it clear that you'd like to give it a go? Chess is an unusual game. People believe that only scholars can play Go, but my game is Chinese chess, which even scholars have never played. Don't you want to give it a shot? Don't worry. I'll show you how."

Many people were inspired by this, notably by the phrase "even scholars have never played it." Scholars were widely esteemed in ancient times. They believed it would be a great honor if they could beat the scholars at Chinese chess!

"How much is your chess?" Someone asked about the price first.

Xu Ran said, "I'll charge you according to how quickly you pick up chess. I charge less if you learn fast. I will only charge you 800 pence if I teach you once and you learn it. I'll charge 900 pence if I have to teach it twice. Another 100 pence, please. Who wants to give it a shot right now?"

"Do you really mean it? If I don't need you to teach me, can I pay less?" The person who asked was the one who had just guided the old man to play chess, and obviously this man was clever.

Watched by so many people, Xu Ran appeared generous, "Buddy, if you don't need me to teach you, I'll just charge 750 pence. My business opens today!"

As he spoke, Xu Ran gazed at the individual. His hands appeared to be quite delicate, with no calluses, and he had a clean, fair-skinned face. He appeared to be either a scholar or an affluent family's child. The man appeared unconcerned about his financial situation. He took out the money and paid Xu Ran without hesitation when Xu Ran stated he could pay 50 cents less. He chose a little set and walked away.

Xu Ran smiled and waved his hand from behind, "Goodbye, buddy."

Someone would try first, and others would naturally follow suit. As soon as the young man had left, another individual approached and said he wanted to buy one set for 800 pence. He wasn't fooled by Xu Ran. He placed the chess pieces in the box and instructed him to place them on the chessboard in the same manner as he did.