Chapter 97

One Month Old

Those close friends and family were invited to Little Baozi's Red Egg and Ginger Party, despite the fact that it was not a large gathering. Fortunately, while Xu Ran was unconscious, Liu Tong and Shao Yu had prepared the food items for the gathering.

Because Xu Ran assumed that those who arrived were all close friends, only a few everyday dishes would be prepared. The sausages were cooked and ready to eat. Some shredded meat meals, a stewing soup chicken, and a sauce-dressed duck It would suffice, along with a few other veggie recipes.

Early on the morning of December 25th, Liu Tong changed a brand new red outfit for little Baozi, who looked like a lucky doll.

Because Wu Mei's house was the nearest, they were the first to arrive. Wu Mei embroidered a suit of garments and a pair of tiger-head shoes for tiny Baozi, and Xu An gave him a rattle-drum that made a rattling sound, which tiny Baozi loved.

Wu Lan's and Liu Qing's families arrived shortly after with gifts. They went straight to the kitchen to lend a hand as soon as they arrived. In the living room, Xu An and the others played chess. The kids either played Five-in-a-Row or went on their own in search of entertainment.

After a while, the Zhuo Yun family arrived. With Qin Shuwen and little Qingshu, Zhuo Yun drove the carriage by himself. He even packed clothes and comforters with him, indicating that he was planning on remaining for a long time. Zhuo Yun had been known to Xu An and the others, but they had never seen Qin Shuwen. Zhuo Yun was a laid-back guy. He quickly became acquainted with Xu An and the others.

Qin Shuwen, on the other hand, went to meet Liu Tong with the baby after greeting everyone. The two could exchange experience of child rearing.

By the time they were about to eat lunch, some members of the village chief's family had arrived. It was the local chief's eldest son, Xu Shao. Xiaobudian and Xiaomi, his two children, accompanied him. In fact, as an elder, it was inappropriate for the village head to visit in person.

Except for Zhuo Yun, Xu An, and the others, none of them had ever met Xu Shao. The group of people sat together and spoke after Xu Ran introduced them. They were snacking on dried beancurd.

Xiaobudian was ecstatic. He hadn't been allowed to come out to play recently due to the cold weather, and he hadn't seen Tangtang and Guoguo in a long time. As soon as he arrived, he hurried to Tangtang and Guoguo, and Xiaomi trailed close behind.

When Xiaobudian saw Guoguo and Tangtang playing Five-in-a-Row, he began shouting that he wanted to play as well. There was, however, only one set of the Five-in-a-Row game. There's not enough to go around. No one was willing to give way to anyone else when they were kids.

Seeing them argue for a long period without determining who would play first was too much for Xu Ran. He got a flint and a few stones and created a grid on the ground, two stones in each square. Xu Ran clapped his hands after completing it. "Everyone is welcome to come in. Stop playing Five-in-a-Row with your friends. I'll show you how to play a new game."

The children all ran over to Xu Ran when he said anything. Xu Ran drew five similar large grids, each divided into several small squares on the inside. Then, outside each of the four corners, another square was sketched where a stone would be placed.

Xu Ran introduced himself by pointing to the grid "I'm not sure what the name of this game is. Two players are required. Play rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to go first. When your stone collides with your opponent's, the latter's stone must return to the beginning location. The winner will be the first person to fill all ten centre squares. Come on, Tangtang, and let's put on a show for them."