Chapter 161

After he agreed, Vice General Luo turned around and left the tent. He most likely went out looking for them. In the tent, Xu Ran and King Yan sat and waited.

When it was only the two of them, Xu Ran could finally ask King Yan, "Why don't you remember the rules you set yourself? Why didn't you tell me about this from the beginning? Don't you know that Tongtong and Baozi are still in the cold wind outside now?"

At first, King Yan didn't appear to be guilty, but as he heard Xu Ran's words, his face darkened.

He rubbed his nose in embarrassment, "I was hoping you'd come by yourself, and I just wanted to tease you. I had no idea Zheng and Baozi were both coming. Besides, I'd established a slew of regulations. How could I remember them every day?"

He appeared to be a little irritated, leaving Xu Ran speechless. The first portion was irrelevant; what mattered was that he couldn't recall them. When Xu Ran heard footsteps outside, he was about to refute King Yan.

"Dad, Dad."

Tangtang and Guoguo was calling him before they had showed up.

Xu Ran didn't care about King Yan anymore and got up to greet them.

At the tent's entrance, the father and his two children met. King Yan was envious when the two kids ran up to him and told him how much they missed him. And this picture reminded Xu Ran of how every time he went out, they would all gather at the village's entrance, waiting for him to return.

At the time, they were still young and short, and they could only reach his chest. When they saw him get out of the carriage, they would run up to him, and he would grab the two youngsters who approached him, take them in his arms, and kiss them on the cheek.

And now, the two children were so tall. Only when they ran to him did Xu Ran realize that they were almost his height.

Something flashed through Xu Ran's mind, but it was too fast that he was not able to catch it.

Xu Ran felt a little embarrassed to kiss them since they had grown up. So he just patted their shoulders and asked them, You haven't been home for two months. Do you want to go home?"

The home Xu Ran mentioned naturally meant their home in Yanzhou. Tangtang and Guoguo nodded certainly. How was it possible that they did not want to go home?

Xu Ran smiled and asked, "How about your days in the military camp? Are you getting used to it? Can you bear these sufferings?"

He asked a series of questions, and the two children were patient enough to answer him one by one.

They had just finished practicing before they ran over here, both of thyem were still sweating. Tangtang wiped the sweat on his forehead and said, "Dad, don't worry about us. Me and brother lived very well in the military camp. We lived together every day and got along very well. Everyone would take care of us because since we were still young. We are fine here."

It's human nature to keep bad information from those who care about you and whom you care about, and Tangtang and Guoguo did exactly that. For a long time, Xu Ran squinted and stared at them intently. When he realized they weren't going to say anything else, he nodded to signify that he understood.

Although there were no expressions on Tangtang and Guoguo's face, they all felt relieved.

So did the Vice General Luo. Because when King Yan had sent them over, he had only left them to him and did not explain anything else. Therefore, he had only left them with the Old Veteran and never cared about them.