Chapter 107

Croton Seeds

Xu Ran came home on the 13th of the first lunar month and began preparing for potato planting.

Ten hectares of recently opened wasteland that has yet to be planted. Xu Ran planned to use five mu to sow potatoes and the remaining mu to cultivate corn. It wouldn't be a large harvest, but it shouldn't be too bad. In any case, he thought so.

Only three persons were still able to work from home. After all, they only had one person to look after the children. Tangtang and Guoguo were both going back to school after this month, so they couldn't help with Baozi's care.

They would obtain the potato seeds on their own at home. The rest would be handled by the long-term workers. Xu Ran had to pay them anyway, and they could learn how to plant them without him having to educate them.

It saved time and energy.

It was a massive job, and planting ten mu of potatoes would take at least a month.

After getting the potato seeds prepared, Xu Ran just left the rest to the long-term laborers and fully believed them.

The whole family traveled to the town on the 15th of the first lunar month to admire the many lanterns and eat Yuanxiao (or Tangyuan, food eaten on the Lantern Festival, which is on the 15th of the first lunar month), and they had to spend the festival together no matter how busy they were.

On the 16th, Xu Ran sent Tangtang and Guoguo to the village's school with the present for their Fuzi. Liu Tong specially made book bags which were embroidered with patterns for the twins. Although the bags were not very delicate, it looked good.

That day was the busiest at school. Aside from the children who had previously attended school, there would be a large number of new students. Students at Xu Village's school came from all across the village, including adjacent villages. Every year, 20 to 30 pupils attended this school, which might be considered a large number.

"Xiucai Xu, are you sending children here to study?" Fuzi, who lived in the village, did not know Xu Ran, but he had seen him a few times, so when he saw him, he eagerly greeted him, "Xiucai Xu, are you sending children here to study?"

Xu Ran nodded. "Yes, they are almost seven years old, and it's time to come. I'll trouble you to teach my children in the future."

Fuzi's aged face broke into a pleasing smile. "Thank you so much. It is an honor for me to teach your small children. Rest assured, Xiucai Xu. I'm confident that I'll be able to instruct them well."

Hearing that gave Xu Ran shivers all over his body. He handed Fuzi the thing he was holding "Thank you very much, Fuzi. This is my children's present.  Please accept it.

Fuzi paused and extended his hand, but he didn't accept it as if he were in a bind. Xu Ran then added, "Just accept it, Fuzi. I'm exactly like everyone else. You are not required to be that courteous. I've come to take the two kids to school. It's the same as the others. Just do what needs to be done."

"I see, I see. Xiucai Xu, rest assured," Fuzi said sincerely.

But Xu Ran didn't know exactly what Fuzi knew.

Fuzi accepted Xu Ran's present, and then Xu Ran started to remind his children.

Xu Ran said, "Tangtang, Guoguo, you guys are still young here, but mark my words, we will not attack unless we are attacked; if we are attacked, a tooth for a tooth."