Chapter 9

Liu Tong awoke early the next morning, with the first rooster crowing. He looked down at the sweaty man in his arms, who was soundly sleeping. He washed his sweat away first, then shifted his body slowly so as not to wake him up.

He was well aware that Ran had been sleeping in a snoring state. He was also sick a few days ago. However, he seemed to be in good health these past two days, which made Liu Tong feel a lot better.

He got out of bed and went to see Tangtang and Guoguo in another room. Three children were soundly sleeping on their backs on a bunk. Liu Tong walked away silently.

At the kitchen, Wu Mei had already begun to make a fire and made breakfast.

Wu Mei, upon seeing Liu Qing, inquired, "Why did you get up so early in the morning? You were exhausted and injured for the whole day yesterday. Why not get a little more rest?"

Liu Tong shook his head, "No, I'm used to getting up early. Let me help you cook!"

Wu Mei decided after seeing Liu Tong's good mood "All right. You help me in lighting the fire! Today, I'm going to make doughballs. We have the strength to work only when we are full."

Liu Tong nodded and added firewood into the stove.

When most children awoke, it was completely daylight. Dahu took the three younger children to the kitchen to wash their faces before heading to the room.

Tangtang and Guoguo had never done anything like this before. They could only eat when the Xu Family had leftovers at home; otherwise, they wouldn't be able to eat breakfast the next morning. 

They were so hungry all the time that they had become used to it. When Dahu took them to the kitchen to wait for food today, they were both surprised, and they also looked forward to the day when they could do the same.

The overly careful expressions on Tangtang and Guoguo's faces made Liu Tong's heartache. In the Xu Family, he couldn't do anything about it, but he was certain that such things would never happen again.

Wu Mei didn't try to drive the children away after seeing it. He just said, "Tangtang, Guoguo, you are hungry, right? Don't worry. One more minute, and the meal will be ready."

Tangtang and Guoguo nodded obediently.

Dahu and Yueya'er, on the other hand, thought their father had neglected them, so they started to behave pettishly, saying, "Daddy, daddy, we are both hungry and want to eat."

Dahu was slapped on the head by Wu Mei "Outside, sit and wait. If you're as obedient as Tangtang and Guoguo, I'll be delighted."  Dahu rubbed his frustrated head and walked away with the other kids.

"Wu Mei, Dahu is also very obedient!" Liu Tong thought it was interesting. "Why do you keep beating him up?"

"The kid is in desperate need of a spanking. Nothing takes shape before it is beaten with a hammer. He just acts this way in front of you "Wu Mei responded.

"He's still young. Don't be too hard. Tangtang and Guoguo have been restrained for too long, or they should be very naughty at the age," Liu Tong smiled.

"That's true. Well, everything will be fine in the future."

Both of them were talking in this manner while working in the kitchen. Breakfast was ready in no time.

Tangtang and Guoguo were asked by Liu Tong to wake Xu Ran up for breakfast. When the two kids went inside, Xu Ran was still fast asleep.

So the two kids were uncertain about whether or not they should wake up their father because he hadn't had enough sleep.