Chapter 31

Then, after a few days in the sun, all of the chilies were dried, and it was October 28th. It would be November in a few days, and Liu Tong's birthday would be in a day, and he would be 23.  Xu Ran had been so preoccupied these days that he had almost forgotten about it, but it came back to him when Tangtang and Guoguo were debating what gifts they should give their daddy.

In reality, they had no idea about giving gifts at first, but it was mentioned in one of Xu Ran's stories, so the two kids remembered it.

Xu Ran had a headache when it came to his birthday. Liu Tong seemed to have everything, but all he had was his family, and he couldn't find out what Liu Tong liked by talking to other Ge'ers. It was a total headache.

Since he learned tomorrow was Liu Tong's birthday, Xu Ran had been sitting in a daze in the yard for the whole afternoon.

Liu Tong tried to ask Xu Ran what was going on a few times, but he was stopped by Tangtang and Guoguo, who explained, "Dad is thinking something. You just leave him alone, Daddy!"

Liu Tong didn't have a choice but to surrender. It wasn't until the chilies were picked at night that the condition improved. There was no way of knowing what brilliant plan Xu Ran had thought up, but he was ecstatic.

It didn't end until the morning after that. Xu Ran awoke early and went to the kitchen to prepare a bowl of noodles. He kneaded and rolled the noodles' dough by himself. He was planning on making Longevity Noodles.

On the top of the noodles was a sunny-side-up egg.

Looking at the noodles brought by Xu Ran, Liu Tong could not help feeling touched. Since his dad and daddy passed away, no one had ever remembered his birthday. Tangtang and Guoguo were still young. They had done nothing, even though they were aware of it. He'd almost forgotten about it after all these years, and he'd never imagined he'd be able to eat the Longevity Noodles Ran had prepared for him today.

Liu Tong ate the noodles with tearful eyes and then said to Xu Ran, "Ran, these are the most delicious noodles I have ever eaten."

These were the words Liu Tong most wanted to say, even if they were a little pretentious.  Xu Ran held his hand with a smile. "Tongtong, I will be cooking the noodles for you every year from now on."

These simple words felt like a lifelong commitment. Xu Ran borrowed an ox-cart and went to town after breakfast. He didn't just have to bring chili paste to Mr. Chen today; he also had bigger fish to fry.

Xu Ran went to Mr. Chen's restaurant with chili paste in a pack basket on his back after arriving in town and hurriedly parking the ox-cart. He also seemed a little nervous when speaking. Mr. Chen was unsure why he was in such a rush, but he paid him immediately after jokingly accusing him of being a bad boy.

Xu Ran took the silver to the jewelry shop after thanking them. Liu Tong didn't have a single jewel or even a single hairpin, so he set out today to purchase one. If Liu Tong was a tough guy, he'd be able to attract a lot of attractive young men. He would, of course, be attractive and have a pleasant demeanor.

Xu Ran had no idea choosing the right jewels, so he only went with what he felt was fine and appropriate for Liu Tong. Xu Ran finally settled on a white jade hairpin with plum blossoms cut into the tail. He had a beautiful vision of the unity of nature and man in his mind when he pictured the scene in which Liu Tong wore this hairpin.

He opted for an emerald crown, which complemented the white jade hairpin nicely. Xu Ran dashed to the fabric shop after leaving the jewelry store. He went to a fabric store that seemed to be a little opulent. "Mister, do you have finished wedding dresses here?" he asked the shopkeeper as soon as he walked in.