Chapter 171

After suffering a defeat in the sneak attack, the barbarians were finally ready to formally engage the Yanzhou army. It was also exactly what Xu Ran and the others desired because it would have a negative impact on their morale if it was delayed too long.

Vice General Luo had previously led the army, but they now suspect him of being a spy, therefore it couldn't be him. Lu Qi finally opted to lead the men to the fight personally, leaving the rest to Xu Ran, while Vice General Luo's role was to keep an eye on Tangtang, who was regarded to be odd.

Tangtang didn't mind if someone was watching him because he would still do what he wanted. He was on his way to the fight, but Xu Ran left him. "Tangtang, not everyone is suited to lead from the front. It is also crucial to command from the rear. Take you and Guoguo for example; he belongs to the former, but you are the latter. Do you get what I'm saying?"

How could Tangtang not understand what Xu Ran said? He didn't want to go to the battlefield since he was angry and unhappy by Guoguo's incident, but he did want to kill a few barbarians.

Tangtang noticed Vice General Luo staring at him, paused for a moment, then agreed to Xu Ran's request.

He accompanied him to keep an eye on him from behind. He was concerned that Vice General Luo would do something once he arrived on the battlefield, so he decided to wait until Vice General Luo was eliminated.

Vice General Luo did not take part in the operation's deployment, therefore he was unaware of the circumstances.

Only when Lu Qi declared he was going to the combat personally did he become concerned. He had talked to Lu Qi for a long time, but he was unable to persuade him to change his mind.

He knew Lu Qi well, and he knew that he was not only good at kung fu, but also highly smart and had amazing medical skills. Most significantly, he was an expert with poison. As a result, Vice General Luo had been anxious since the battle began.

Xu Ran and Tangtang saw why, but they feigned to ignore his performance and proceeded about their work. Though the barbarians were reported to have a fifty thousand-strong army, this was far from the case. Similarly, Lu Qi only brought 20,000 men.

Standing on the ledge, one could see the indescribable view below. There were roars, the clashing of knives and swords, and the beat of drums. Xu Ran recalled hearing a lot of drums in the military camp. He would not want his own people to suffer defeat.

The battle down below was fierce. Xu Ran had an epiphany and ordered his troops to bring out all the large drums in the military camp and begin beating them.

The drums began to ring louder and more frequently. It was transferred from the steep slope to the battlefield below one by one. The beat of the drums lifted everyone's spirits. Lu Qi yelled once more and dashed towards the crowd.

The rest would naturally be persuaded by the leader and then follow suit. Fighting force came with morale.

This struggle would be exceptionally severe as a result of what happened quite organically. In addition to keeping an eye on the battlefield below, Xu Ran had to keep an eye out for any sneak attacks. More significantly, he had to be careful of spies working from within with outside forces to fight them back.

At this point, Xu Ran felt that he had to worry about a lot of things. Also, seeing such a real battlefield for the first time, he found it hard to accept. After all, he was a person who liked peace in heart.

However, he couldn't delay other important things for this small matter.

After Xu Ran sent out twenty thousand warriors for the second time, the conflict was over. The destruction was extensive. Only 10 thousand persons remained alive out of a total population of twenty thousand.