Chapter 17

But he didn't expect trouble to strike the next day, as he had hoped for a more peaceful life for themselves.

Breakfast was being served to the family. Today was Xu Ran's plan to put the chilli sauce in the bamboo tubes. He hadn't made the chilli sauce in more than twenty days. Before the breakfast was finished, someone outside asked them to get out rudely.

Xu Ran could tell it was Elder Daddy Xu's voice as soon as he heard it.

Since they left the family, he hadn't paid attention to the Xu Family's news. To begin with, he was preoccupied and didn't have time to think about it. Second, he didn't want to spend much time on it. The Xu Family's situation had nothing to do with them, but he had no idea why they had come to their house today.

He recalled the torment of the previous time. He set the bowl down and told Liu Tong, "Stay inside with Tangtang and Guoguo, Tongtong. I'll go outside to take a look."

"Ran, I'll go with you! When you go on your own, it bothers me ." Liu Tong was worried because he feared the Xu Family would do something unpleasant to Xu Ran.

Xu Ran comforted him by patting his hand and saying, "Don't worry, Tongtong. They can't hurt me because I'm no longer a fool. I'll call you later if I need your help."

"Sure. Ran, take care." While he was worried about Xu Ran, Liu Tong also realized that now that he had returned to normal, he needed to take care of everything in his family; otherwise, they would be in trouble. As a response, Liu Tong had no choice but to follow Xu Ran's orders.

After getting out of the room, Xu Ran saw many people standing outside. It was so lively.

He stepped outside and opened the courtyard gates, then turned to face Elder Daddy Xu and Xu Cheng. He asked, "How can I help you, Daddy? Why do you come so early at my house?"

Elder Daddy Xu became angry as soon as he saw Xu Ran. He said, pointing to his nose, "You're such an ungrateful person. Since you've been apart, you haven't seen me or your father in a long time. We've been very busy with farm work, but you haven't returned to help us. You have no right to ask as to why I am here. Of course, I've come to teach you a lesson."

Xu Ran sneered as he heard his words. "Heh!" Have you forgotten, Daddy, that I was excluded from the Xu family? At the moment, I wasn't completely healed. My spouse looks after two children and me, who was a fool at the time. We were beaten up before being ejected from the family, leaving us homeless. We were lucky that some good people took us in; otherwise, we'd all be dead and you'd only be able to see our tombstones.

It had only been two months, but several people had seen Liu Tong kneeling with his two children and the injured Xu Ran. They were really glum after hearing Xu Ran's words.

"You are mistaken, brother. We are still a family, even though we don't live together. We're really busy right now while you don't have any land. Why don't you return home and help us?" Xu Cheng couldn't wait to stand out after seeing Elder Daddy Xu choke on Xu Ran's words.

Elder Daddy Xu followed Xu Cheng and said, "It's true what your younger brother said. You'd rather help someone other than your own family. What's the matter with you? You were born and raised by me, but you are completely ungrateful."

"I respect you, Daddy, because you are my older brother, so I can't blame you. Even if I was a fool, I recall my life in the Xu Family. My father tried to give us a plot of land at the time, but you refused. You really wanted my family to have nothing to eat. Daddy, Tangtang and Guoguo are your grandsons and they are only five years old. Why are you so cruel?" As he was talking, Xu Ran's eyes became red.