Chapter 80

Killing Pigs

When they awoke in the middle of November, the earth had already turned white from the frost. The icy season was bitterly cold. Every morning, Xu Ran wished to stay in bed.

Tangtang and Guoguo, on the other hand, were quite animated. They went up to the mountain every day with Gao Quan and learnt some basic Kungfu movements.

But no matter how cold it was, they still had to get up and work. From now on, they could start to collect the chestnuts on the mountain. It was just the right time for that.

The villagers were no longer overworked. The majority of Ge'ers stayed at home to sew winter garments. Some of the guys started making plans to go to town and look for some part-time work before the Spring Festival to help pay for it.

The smarter ones started to hoard chestnuts early, and most of them sold chestnuts to Xu Ran last year.

Xu Ran intended to continue using the same strategy as last year for labor division. This year, however, Shao Yu would be the one to harvest the chestnuts in his household, and Gao Quan would go to other villages to collect chestnuts for him.

As for Xu Ran, he planned to look after Liu Tong at home, and start to look for a mid-spouse.

The mid-spouse was the one who assisted the pregnant man in giving birth. Because they had all given birth to children, they were dubbed mid-spouses, a term that meant the same thing as midwives but was interpreted differently.

The clothes for the baby to wear were prepared by Shao Yu and Liu Tong long ago. Xu Ran didn't know much all these things and only wanted the baby to have something to wear.

The child would be born in winter, so the house had to be prepared with hot water, otherwise it would be freezing cold if they had to wash the diapers with cold water.

Not only that, but the hogs at home and those purchased by Zhuo Yun's family could now be slaughtered for meat. In addition, the bacon and sausages had to be ready by the end of the month. It would take them some time to complete all of the tasks.

Mid-spouse and pig slaughterer could be found in the village. As long as they were notified in advance, they would come on time.

Zhuo Yun also said that he would buy the hogs. When it was time, he would bring them to his house and then send them over to Xu Ran personally.

Xu Ran was currently preoccupied with beginning the condiment preparations. People would only buy sausages if they tasted excellent, so he'd have to put in a lot of effort to improve that.

Xu Ran went to the town to buy a lot of ingredients as well as meat and then tried it one by one. If it was not good enough, he would roast the meat and gave to Tangtang and Guoguo.

Xu Ran toiled for two days to get the taste that he wanted, and Tangtang and Guoguo ate a lot of roasted meat in the past two days; both of them even had diarrhea.

They were laying on the bed, whining about their stomachaches, so Xu Ran kicked himself in the shins, and Tangtang and Guoguo had to soothe him.

In that case, Xu Ran no longer allowed them to eat roasted meat. Even if he had to taste it, he would eat it himself. Fortunately, he finally got the right flavor.

For the sausages, Xu Ran has devised three varieties. The first was fiery and was intended for residents of their town, while the second was sweet and was intended for residents of Guangdong and Guangxi. The last one was just salty and didn't have many toppings. People in certain locations preferred a light flavor, therefore a pinch of salt should suffice.