Chapter 54

THE COUPLE

In this town, there was only one human trafficker, who lived in the city's east end. They followed Housekeeper Zhuo's lead and found him on the familiar street.

Wu was the surname of the human trafficker. Xu Ran and Zhuo Yun were introduced by Housekeeper Zhuo, who added that it was Xu Ran who wanted to buy a person. His only requirement was that the individual be a Ge'er with previous experience giving birth or caring for pregnant spouses.

Trafficker Wu replied hurriedly, "No problem, no problem. I have plenty. Let me bring some here now."

He then brought a group of Ge'ers here. They had previously given birth or served pregnant spouses as people who had been sent away by large families, which met Xu Ran's request.

Xu Ran, on the other hand, was dissatisfied. The majority of people from large families were meticulous but incompetent. Xu Ran didn't want to take any of them, no matter why they'd been sent away, for fear that they'd act like masters in front of him and Liu Tong in the future. The tricks of big families were the ones he despised the most.

He shook his head at Trafficker Wu and said, "I don't want these people. Do you have other people here?"

He felt like he was going to the store to buy something after saying this. The sensation was unpleasant. Trafficker Wu brought another party and introduced, seeing that Xu Ran didn't want anyone "Because their families were too poor to feed them, these people were sold by their families. They are unfortunate souls."

These individuals were truly pitiful. All of their clothes were patched, and they seemed obedient and weak-willed, as though they were born to be bullied, but this was in keeping with country people's integrity.

Xu Ran chose a few and asked them a few questions, but after doing so, he began to frown. Their responses were entirely different from what he was looking for, indicating that they did not meet his requirements.

He and Liu Tong were good, but he was aware of one of the poor's habits: they obediently followed their master's orders and were very selfish. No one knew what these people would become in the future, even if they seemed to be well-behaved now. Xu Ran, dissatisfied, didn't pick anyone and shook his head at Trafficker Wu once more.

After witnessing Xu Ran's performance, Trafficker Wu was almost convinced that Xu Ran had come here to find fault. He contained his anger when he discovered that Housekeeper Zhuo and Zhuo Yun had remained silent and that Xu Ran had made a serious decision just now.

He said to Xu Ran, "Gentleman, I only have these people who meet your requirements."

Finishing speaking, Trafficker Wu patted himself on the back and hesitantly looked at Xu Ran. Xu Ran became irritated when he saw him and said, "If you have anything to say, just say it!"

Trafficker Wu said, "I have one more person who fits your requirements, but he will not be sold by himself. He is married, and the two of them must be sold together. This individual has recently lost his child but is a good person. No one is more qualified to represent your spouse than he is."

Before Xu Ran could say anything, Zhuo Yun helped him reply, "Bring them here! If they are suitable, we will buy them."

Wu, the trafficker, was quick to get them here. The man was tall but didn't seem to be from the south, and he was covering his wife in his arms, so his face couldn't be seen clearly. Xu Ran was very pleased with the man's behavior. At the very least, the one who knew how to defend his spouse couldn't be all evil.