Chapter 53

BUYING A SERVANT

This morning, Xu Ran awoke early. On the carriage, he put a pot of pickled bamboo shoots. He then cooked the pigweed for pigs and horses to eat, as well as releasing the chickens and ducks from the poultry houses. Xu Ran got ready to go out after making and eating breakfast with his two children and the elderly.

Liu Tong was still asleep. Xu Ran managed to get Liu Tong to develop the habit of sleeping late ever since he found out he was pregnant.

Throughout the years, Liu Tong had maintained a precise biological rhythm. Despite the fact that he was awake, he had to listen to Xu Ran and stay in bed.

Pregnant men got sleepy easily, and Liu Tong got used to this new normal now.

Liu Tong was initially concerned that he would become lazy after developing such a habit, but Xu Ran explained that he wanted his son to get enough sleep while still in his dad's womb so that he would not sleep late after birth. Liu Tong had no idea how to refute Xu Ran's remarks because he doesn't understand what they mean.

Xu Ran got into the carriage with Foreman Li, who was going to the town to buy some food.

Before boarding the carriage, Foreman Li spoke to Xu Ran in a flattering tone. Xu Ran sat in the driver's seat, next to Foreman Li. Then they conversed on the way. After that incident, Foreman Li told Xu Ran something about Zhang Yue.

Xu Ran had been incredibly busy these days, and he hadn't given Zhang Yue much thought. Foreman Li had spent two months in Xu Village. When he had free time, he enjoyed talking with the other villagers. He was now very acquainted with the residents of this village.

Elder Daddy Xu and Xu Houcai made a scene when Xu Cheng was imprisoned in the ancestral hall. They gave up after seeing no improvement and returned home. They soon arrived at the town hospital, where they discovered Zhang Yue, who was still in a coma and was being bandaged by the doctor. Zhang Yue's wounds looked very serious, and the physician explained the condition of Zhang Yue to them two.

Elder Daddy Xu and Xu Houcai had actually come to see Zhang Yue because they didn't believe Xu Ran's statements. They had no choice but to believe it at this point. The doctor, after all, will not lie.

Then they began to hesitate once more. They couldn't afford Zhang Yue's medical care any longer unless they sold their fields, which were of little benefit in the first place.

Worse, since there would be no immediate buyer, they would have to sell their fields to the government, which would result in a lower profit. They were still angry just thinking about it.

However, they were forced to sell the fields in order to fund Zhang Yue's medical care, or he would die. Then their beloved son will go to prison, possibly losing his life. No way! Certainly not! They had made up their minds to save Zhang Yue by any means necessary. As a result, they returned to Village Xu to pay a visit to the village chief.

The village chief explained the consequences of the incident, which alarmed the elderly Xu couple. They immediately took possession of the title deed and began preparing to sell their land.

The village chief was aware that the elderly Xu couple was poor. They were both from the same village and had a good relationship. As a result, he provided a reasonable price and charged the couple of elderly Xu the portion that should have been given to the government.

The elderly couple returned home with silver ingots in their hands. They did, however, continue to curse along the way. Someone overheard it and told the village chief. When the village chief learned of this, he became enraged and declared that he would no longer help the pair.