Chapter 72

DAILY LIFE

Following dinner, the families convened to divide the funds. The money had not been shared from the start, and the family had put their faith in Xu An to keep it safe. Furthermore, the wheelbarrow's price was set, and each family's sales record was kept.

Shao Yu and Gao Quan were given Xu Ran's family portion after he left. Xu Ran had devised the concept and design, and Xu An, with the help of Xu Zhen and Xu Fa, built the majority of the wheelbarrows. Xu Ran, on the other hand, believes that the funds should be distributed equally.

They'd been dividing money in this manner for a long time, and they couldn't change it just because they'd made the most money this time. Most significantly, despite the fact that their responsibilities were varied, everyone had put in a lot of effort. If Xu Fa and Xu Zhen had less money, they would not whine, but they would grow apart. If they received the same amount of money, they would recognize that they were overpaying and would work harder.

Xu Ran was confident that Xu An and Wu Mei would have no objections. After all, Wu Mei had always given these two families his undivided attention. He was generous, and Xu An paid attention to what he had to say. Xu Fa and Xu Zhen felt awkward when they received the same amount of money, proposing that they should take less.

Xu Ran said, "It's been decided long ago. There is no reason for us to give you less just because we sell more. No matter if you will continue to work with us, you should take your share from this business."

Wu Mei echoed, "Yeah, it's been decided. Don't argue. Just take it!"

The two families took the money awkwardly.

Xu Ran didn't say anything else, taking Xu An aside and asking him to help make the Chinese chess.

He handed Xu An the drawing. "Here's the design I drew this afternoon, Xu An. I'd like you to make it to my specifications. It's for Mr. Hu, who spends his days idling and bored. I'll have to find him something to do to pass the time. The game is best played by the elderly."

Xu Ran took the paper and studied it for a long time. There were some squares and a round object. Xu An couldn't figure out what it was. He asked Xu Ran, "Ran, how would you like it? Is it made of wood?"

Xu Ran nodded. "Yes, it's made of wood. Let's make a chessboard according to the square on the paper. It's this big." He made a gesture of the size.

And he continued, "Make 32 round chess pieces, just like the design on the paper. Characters should be carved on the pieces, and I'll tell you what characters to carve when you finish."

As Xu Ran explained, Xu An knew how to make it. He shook the paper in his hand and said, "Can Mr. Hu play this game when it's made? You say there will be characters. Does Mr. Hu know how to read? "

Xu Ran rubbed his head. He had forgotten about this. After all, the elderly in modern times were literate.

Xu Ran said, "Don't worry, I will teach Mr. Hu to read as well as how to play. You can help me make these things first!"

"Okay, I'll go and work on it. It's not that busy lately, and I have people to make the wheelbarrows."

"By the way," Xu Ran asked Xu An, "Where are the apprentices and carpenters staying and eating? How do you arrange it?"

Xu An replied, "They dine at my home. At night, the apprentices return to their homes. In my house, the carpenters sleep on the floor. I don't charge the apprentices anything to acquire the skills; they only have to pay for their meal. The carpenters are not responsible for the board or meals."