Chapter 28

The family started making steamed buns the next day. They made a full steamer of the buns, enough for many days of consuming. The chili paste steamed buns were delicious. There was still a lot of flour left at the end. Xu Ran wanted to make pancakes with the leftover flour because no one would sit at home these days and the flour could be eaten by rats.

Xu Ran knew that potherb egg pancakes were both nutritious and delicious.

Since they didn't have any eggs at home, Xu Ran took some money and sent Tangtang and Guoguo to some villagers' houses to buy some. In terms of costs, an egg normally cost thirty pence. Instead of eating alone, many people in the village sold eggs for money. Everyone was happy to sell eggs to them because the price was fair.

Tangtang and Guoguo were both very clever. They knew they had to give those familiar families first priority. As a result, they not only went to the village head's house to buy eggs, but also returned with some home-cooked food that Daddy Chen had sent them. The two kids were walking and eating on their way home. They were overjoyed.

Xu Ran immediately began making pancakes after the eggs were ready. He chopped the wild vegetables into small pieces, mixed them into the flour, and then stirred in the eggs and seasoning. In the end, he fried them in a pan.

He couldn't spread the dough out in the pot because it was too small. As a result, the pancake was not quite thin, but it was something Liu Tong, Tangtang, and Guoguo had never tried before, and they were all blown away. (boom boom 💣💥 jk its said they were amazed 🤯 shocking omg)

They had to use two big plates to hold the pancakes in the end. They ate one share of the chili paste pancakes at noon. Xu Ran intended to send the other one to others, especially the Wu Mei family. After all, they had to ask them to help take care of their two children. He also sent some to the village chief's family, who generously sold them the eggs.

Xu Ran and Liu Tong took Tangtang and Guoguo to Wu Mei's house in the evening after dinner, joined by four dogs and a rabbit. They had spoken with Wu Mei in advance throughout the day, and the money had also been given to him. Naturally, Wu Mei would not disagree about it.

It was the first time Tangtang and Guoguo won't be with their parents. They were still young. Wu Mei was worried that they would be afraid to be alone, so he arranged for Dahu to join them. They eventually fell asleep after tossing and turning in bed for a while.

Here in the bamboo house, however, both Xu Ran and Liu Tong missed their kids so much that they were not able to sleep, "Tongtong,  do you think Tangtang and Guoguo will cry?"

Actually, Liu Tong was worried about this as well. He became more anxious after hearing Xu Ran's words and immediately stood up.

Now it was getting cold at night. As Liu Tong moved, the cold wind blew in. Xu Ran also shivered with cold. He then sat up and held Liu Tong in his arms, "OK, OK, don't worry. I won't tease you now. Let's do something else."

With that, Xu Ran collapsed onto the bed, Liu Tong clutched in his arms, and the wooden bed began to creak underneath them. The next day, Liu Tong awoke at the crack of dawn. Since Xu Ran had not moved much the night before, Liu Tong was not as tired today. He used to be stronger than Xu Ran.

Liu Tong packed up all the solid food after breakfast was ready. They had packed the baskets and bags they would take with them the day before. Liu Tong was checking in and out of the house at the time. He went to wake Xu Ran up for breakfast after daybreak.

They set out with their baskets on their backs after breakfast. Bows, arrows, and machetes were among the tools carried by Liu Tong. He had intended to bring a quilt as well because they would be spending the night in the mountains, which would be cold. But considering that there would be too many things to carry when they came back, he only took with them two thick clothes. They both believed they could light a fire to keep warm at night