Chapter 90

Herbs

Xu Ran departed Qin Shuwu's residence in search of Zhuo Yun, who enjoyed playing Chinese chess and found it fascinating. It was a whole different experience than the tiresome Go. Most notably, there were instances when Qin Shuwen couldn't win at Chinese chess and refused to accept his defeat openly. This was an unusual occurrence, which pleased Xu Ran.

Xu Ran sold 30 sets on his own, and Qin Shuwu helped him sell about 50 sets of them, plus the 10 sets he would like to give Lin Hua and Zhao Chen, so there were only 20 sets left.

Zhuo Yun accepted without hesitation after Xu Ran revealed his request; since Zhuo Yun's family had a long history of residing in the town, there must be friends and acquaintances, and Zhuo Yun consented without hesitation, but he stated he would go to Xu Ran's house for the Chinese New Year.

There was no one in his family and only one chef in the kitchen who could match Xu Ran's culinary prowess. Going to Xu Ran's house would be the greatest decision during the Spring Festival because one naturally prefers delicacies.

Xu Ran did not mind that, but he remembered that traditionally it would be better to stay in one's own house for New Year's Eve.

Xu Ran asked Zhuo Yun, "Are you really not gonna spend New Year's Eve in your house? Though I'm fine with that if you've made the decision, for me it's nothing but to prepare extra chopsticks and bowls."

Zhuo Yun waved his hand. "It's okay, I don't have that many taboos.My parents have left, and the majority of the servants have been dispatched. I'm guessing it'll just be me, Shuwen, and a child who can't speak yet. The more people there are, the greater the New Year's celebration will be. I've thought about this and Shuwen is okay with it as well, we are just waiting for your yes."

"Sure," Xu Ran replied, "if you come to my house for the New Year, come the day before the Eve and stay here until the second day of the Spring Festival, and then we can go to see Sworn Daddy together on that morning."

"Alright, that's settled. I'll sell the Chinese chess for you. Don't worry, just prepare enough food lest it's not enough for us."

Xu Ran snorted, "Hey, are you saying that I will not let you eat enough?"

Xu Ran returned home after a short period of joking with his friends. He planned to return to town tomorrow and deliver the dried bamboo shoots and potatoes to Mr. Chen. He would also send Qin Shuwu some sausages in addition to these goodies. However, the bacon will most likely have to wait until next year. He would, however, provide Qin Shuwu some dishes that he might be able to find someone to make at home.

Receiving Lin Hua and his relatives on the 20th, giving a one-month-old celebration party for tiny Baozi on the 25th, bringing some friends to dinner, and resting for a few days to enjoy the Spring Festival would be the next activities. This year, Xu Ran felt, was more exhausting than any other year he had ever experienced.

However, he was also very happy. He had a family, kids and friends, and a somewhat successful career.

Wait a minute! In Zhuo Yun's family, there was still a hundred-day celebration party for tiny Qinshu. Xu Ran patted the back of his head. Today was the 15th of the lunar month of December, so it must be close. However, because Zhuo Yun made no mention of it, he forgot about it. Worse, he had completely forgotten about Qingshu's birth.

And no one else seemed to have told him, either.

Xu Ran was planning to ask Liu Tong, but when he got back, Shao Yu told him that Liu Tong and the little Baozi were asleep.