Chapter 66

DU XIN

No one knew whether Xu Ran's heart had softened or what had happened to him, but he went to see Xu Houcai late at night. He gave him a tael of silver and two bowls of meat left over from the day. He then walked away without saying anything else.

From the moment he left the Xu family, Xu Cheng took on the burden of helping the family. Xu Cheng was a father of two children and an adult. He should have stepped up.

Thinking of these, Xu Ran felt quite annoyed. At night in bed, he hugged Liu Tong in his arms and did not fall asleep after a lot of twists and turns.

Liu Tong knew that Xu Ran was vexed in his heart, so he let him be.

Originally, the family may have happily enjoyed the Mid-Autumn Festival, but after the Xu Family's ruckus, Xu Ran was not in the mood. He had intended to prepare delectable food for the family, but that plan fell through as well. He sat on the stone bench in the yard only that evening and told the family two stories about Chang'e flying to the moon.

The Xu Family never came again, and Xu Ran also heard that they had destroyed two mu of the village head's land.

When Xu Ran went up the mountain, he would sometimes run into Xu Houcai. They didn't say anything to each other. Xu Ran, on the other hand, would sometimes send him herbs to sell. Xu Ran never inquired about the money Xu Houcai would receive from the sale.

September came and went in the blink of an eye. Wheat and rape were on the verge of being planted. Winter potatoes were on the verge of being ready. While the planned date of Qin Shuwen's childbirth approached, Xu Ran was going to take the test for Xiucai.

This is going to be a busy month in general. Gao Quan was instructed by Xu Ran to plant wheat and rape first. If there was something he didn't understand, he might ask Liu Tong for help. Xu Ran emphasized that he did not need to be concerned. He could plant as many as he wanted, and when he returned from the test, he would plant them all together.

Gao Quan had no objections about all these. Anyway, he would do as Xu Ran said.

_____

When they moved into their new home, Zhuo Yun did not show up. Qin Shuwen's stomach grew larger and larger. Zhuo Yun could only be sure of himself by staring at him all the time. Nonetheless, when Xu Ran visited him, he presented him with a generous gift: one hundred taels of silver! 'Rich man, this is a truly significant gift!' Xu Ran wanted to exclaim at that point.

Xu Ran did not participate in the ceremony. After taking the money, he added another 400 taels of silver and gave them all to Zhuo Yun, implying that he was repaying Zhuo Yun for the 500 taels of silver he had borrowed previously.

As Qin Shuwen was going to give birth, Xu Ran also brought over all the eggs he had saved in his home. He told Zhuo Yun to cook them for Qin Shuwen after their baby was born.

Xu Ran's Autumn Test will be held in the county this time, a day's journey from He Shui Town. Xu Ran needed to go to He Shui Town to submit some things, so he had to leave on September 3rd.

Xu Ran was unconcerned because Gao Quan was at home. He didn't even send Mr. Hu to the area. After all, even though Zhuo Yun went there, Qin Shuwen was about to give birth, and Zhuo Yun would have little time to attend to Mr. Hu.

Xu Ran finally began with hesitation after handing over all of the work in and out of the house to both Gao Qian and Shao Yu, as well as going to inform Wu Mei, the village head, and the rest about his departure for the exam.