Chapter 49

Liu Tong awoke on the second day as soon as the rooster crooned. He got up and went to clean the stone mill, one by one carrying the well-prepared soybeans in buckets to the mill's side. He then proceeded to carry several buckets of water over. The noise from outside awoke Xu Ran after all had been prepared.

He had intended to lie in bed for a little longer, but when he realized he still had work to do, he stood up and dressed quickly before washing his face to help Liu Tong. Of course, Liu Tong was in control of the grinding, while Xu Ran was in charge of the soybeans and water.

After a while, Xu Ran asked to swap duties with Liu Tong, but he was rejected. After a short time, Xu Ran made a strong offer to switch roles with Liu Tong, which Liu Tong reluctantly agreed to.

They alternated working on their works. When they finally finished grinding a bag of soybeans, it was just before dawn. They were both tired, but they couldn't sleep because they had work to do. In the morning, they didn't cook anything and instead ate bean dreg.

And because Liu Tong had been too preoccupied with soaking the beans the night before to mow and cook the pigweed. It was just too much work. It was almost ten o'clock in the morning when the family finished their housework and were about to go work on the farm.

There were pits here and there because the field was planted with radish. However, since it had just rained late at night, the field was relatively loose and easier to dig. There were still plenty of rotting leaves on the ground, so all they had to do was row them over and let them rot as fertilizer.

Fertilizer was quick to come by now that they had raised pigs at home. It would be much safer with ash than what they had spread on the field back then. Tangtang and Guoguo went to the strawberry field to see if any grass or insects were present. They also took four dogs and spent every day on the field.

The four dogs were very comfortable in their own environment. They would bark hysterically if they saw someone by the side of the strawberry field trying to do something, and only stop when they left. And if they didn't go, they'd all run over each other in a horde, scaring everyone away.

Liu Tong said it was all taught by Tangtang and Guoguo.

Xu Ran gave his compliment with pride. 'They are indeed my good sons.'

Xu Ran's family had lunch with the construction crew at noon. They couldn't find time to cook now that they were so busy, so eating together would suffice. During lunch, the group finally had the opportunity to question Xu Ran about He Shui Town. Xu Ran chose a few stories to share because they were eating and didn't want to waste time.

After lunch, they started to work on the field again.

It was five days later when the two of them came to their senses.

At home, the soybeans were almost ground. To keep the tofu from molding, the first batch was cut into large chunks and placed on top of the flames, while the other half was cut into small pieces and covered with dry grass. Mr. Hu had helped feed pigs and horses with pigweed at home, which Xu Ran had initially refused to allow him to do, but as Mr. Hu explained, they were so busy when he was idle and could still do anything like this.

Xu Ran reflected on the many and varied practices of old men and women in the modern era. What old people could do was far less than what they could do now. Xu Ran considered forming an old people's Yangko Dance team or something similar when he had the opportunity. (Yanko Dance Team: is a traditional Chinese folk dance commonly performed in the Northern provinces of China.)

After a few more days of hard work, the field work was successfully completed at the end of March. The corn had been planted one by one, and batches of dried bean curd had been smoked at home; the fermented bean curd had mildewed and required jarring. Xu Ran felt compelled to go into town and purchase some jars.