Chapter 74

Xiucai

Mr. Hu found it easier to learn Chinese chess than to recognize characters. He only needed three days to remember the rules of chess. Mr. Hu learned to rise to the situation, even if he sometimes played chess with delayed replies, because winning a game seemed to be his instinct, which had nothing to do with his age.

Knowing this, Xu Ran gave Mr. Hu the chessboard and pieces, allowing him to keep them and possibly teach others to play chess.

On October 5, the gong rung again in the village, this time from the village gate to Xu Ran's house. When Xu Ran heard that, he assumed the envoy had come to collect wheat. He didn't know the envoy was come to inform the villagers of the test results until he heard the words "village test."

Thinking of this, Xu Ran felt anxious.

He asked Liu Tong to prepare some red envelopes, and then he went out by himself.

As was the case the last time, there were a large number of people outside. In front of the audience, the same envoy stood. When he saw Xu Ran, he remarked, "Congratulations on your achievement! You came in fifteenth place in the country test, Xiucai Xu (a Xiucai is someone who has passed the imperial examination at the county level, which is performed every three years and is considered to be well-learned)." He then presented Xu Ran with a certificate.

With this certificate, Xu Ran had the title of Xiucai now, while Tongsheng (who ranked behind Xiucai) had no certificate.

The 15th place finish was not awful. If Xu Ran worked hard enough, he may earn a Juren's degree (a Juren is someone who has passed the imperial examination at the province level). Xu Ran, on the other hand, was not interested.

Xu Ran smiled as he conveyed his gratitude and accepted the envoy's congratulations. He received the red package from Liu Tong and presented it to the envoy when he came out.

Because the villagers had barged into Xu Ran's yard to implore him to feed them, the emissary realized it was wrong to stay there for long.

Indeed, it was a good news for Xu Ran, as he didn't have to pay taxes at least.

However, Xu Ran didn't tend to treat these villagers to meals because it would cost him both money and energy.

However, Xu Ran didn't reject these villagers directly. He could do nothing but smile and reply, "How about a few days later? I need some time to accept it, and I need to prepare the banquet, right?"

When they heard it, they assumed Xu Ran had agreed to their request, so they flattered him once again, claiming they would attend as soon as they received the invitation. Despite the fact that Xu Ran was aware that he had some individuals to treat.

Thinking about that he was going to lose the money he had just earned, Xu Ran felt pain in his heart.

After villagers left, Xu Ran went to consult the village head about the field tax exemption, which was his chief concern now.

The village chief thought it amusing when he sensed Xu Ran's impatience. 'Did he work so hard for the Xiucai's degree in order to gain a tax reduction? 'What's the matter with him?' wondered the village chief.

Xu Ran held the different idea. Anyway, he didn't intend to plant crops. If he paid taxes, he would have to buy the crop seeds, and it would cost more.

The village chief replied, "Relax and enjoy yourself! Because you have a Xiucai's Degree, you are eligible for a tax exemption as long as you go to Yamen to complete the procedure."