Comfort

Delilah's House

Delilah's POV

I walk into my empty house my daughter off at school.  I sit down on the couch and pick up the photo of Caleb, Brin and I from when Brin was 2 weeks old. I breakdown. The shift broke me, and I don't know what I was supposed to do. All I could keep thinking is what could have happened to that baby and what if I didn't do my job properly and Caleb. Even though it's been 7 years I still can't get over what happened. I haven't had a serious relationship with anyone since let alone more than a first date. The fact I could have cost a family a loved one haunted me for the rest of the morning. I lay on the couch with the tv on although i'm not really watching it due to the thought clouding my mind

That afternoon

 I get a text from Stella asking if I want to go shopping with her. I tell her I'm busy although I'm not. I just wanted to be alone. I'm tired and an emotional reck. She just replies with ok then. I go and lay on my bed. I grab the remote and turn off the tv and start scrolling through the apps on my phone before putting on some Netflix. As I'm about to begin the first show the doorbell rings. I get the door. It's Stella. "Hey." She says and I say nothing. She walks in and sits me down on the couch. "Talk to me." She says, "I know there's something wrong." She knows me too well, but I don't say anything. She grabs my hand "Hey, we promised to tell each other when times get tough and I'm here for you ok, look at me Liles." Stella says gently turning my head to face her. I continue to look at the floor, but I feel guilty. She pulls me into a hug and strokes my hair. We don't say a word to each other for 10 minutes until I say "I just thought about if I failed at my job again, what if I was the reason that a family lost someone they loved." Stella interrupts me. "Hey, don't think like that, you made an amazing save, you saved that baby, and it wasn't your fault, how many times do I have to say that." I hug her "You're right but." I say. "But what." Stella says as I pause. "But what if i'm not meant to be back on the job, what if when I had to quit for a while was a sign to tell me i'm not meant for this life, this job." I say and Stella once again cuts me off. "You, you are an amazing firefighter and I know that, Kelly knows that and the whole house knows that, why else do you think we all were so happy to have you stick around. Your meant to be a firefighter Lilah, because if you aren't cut out for it then no one else could ever be." Stella says and i give her a big hug "Thank you." I say. "Should we watch a movie." She says. "What movie." "High School Musical" we say in unison. We spend the rest of the night watching all three High School Musicals. Singing at every opportunity. When it got to 3, I had to go and pick up Brin from school. I said goodbye to Stella, and I told her I would see her at shift. I drove to Brin's school and took her home. Her hair was a mess in comparison to how neat it was this morning. When we got home, we ate dinner, watched Disney channel and had a dance party. When it got late, I put her to bed. I fell asleep straight away tired from the night before on shift.

AN: This chapter was really nice to write showing the amazing bond and friendship Stella and Delilah have. I hope you liked this chapter of the story.