Didn't See That Coming

Antonio's POV

I see Casey leave and go and sit down next to Jay, I never knew Lilah knew Gabby but it's evident from her reaction since it's similar to Stella's reaction and also how she knew to call me. I want to mention it and ask her how she met Gabby, but I don't want to make her cry any more than she already is. The waiting room is silent apart from small tears and sounds of movement. Everyone just as worried as each other

Matt's POV

I sit outside, it's freezing but I don't care, I guess I kind of deserve it. I hear footsteps then Kelly sits down beside me. He doesn't say anything, just sits down in silence. "What if she doesn't make it." I say. "But what if she does, you've got to stay positive, we all know Gabby, she's like the toughest breed out there." Kelly says and I nod. "C'mon then let's get out of the cold and back into the warmth." Kelly says and I follow as he stands up. We walk back into the ED and go to sit down, just as were about to the doctors walk into the waiting room. "We managed to find the cause of the cardiac arrest, there was a small bleed in her arm from some debris, but it's now repaired and she's looking so much better on the monitors, hopefully we should be able to start weaning her off the ventilator and meds so we can try and wake her up too see if there is any long term impacts and damage." Doctor Marcel says and we nod. "Oh and a few more of you can come and see her no more than 8 though we don't want the ICU flooded with firefighters and detectives." Marcel says and we nod. Lilah, Jay, Kelly, Stella, Brett, Hermann, Antonio and I take the first rotation to see Gabby. We walk in the room and see Gabby just like she was before, I sit beside her and whisper, "You're going to be okay." Just as I finish speaking, she opens her eyes as if she heard me. "Hey, she's awake, can someone grab Marcel." I say crying of joy and Kelly nods leaving the room to find someone. I see Gabby trying to talk and gagging as if not realising she is intubated. "Hey, hey don't try to talk, were working on getting that tube out." I say and she nods lifting a weight off everyone in the room's shoulders. Doctor Marcel walks in and removes the breathing tube, she gags for a second as the tube is pulled but as soon as it's removed her stats hold indicating she can breathe fine on her own without the ventilators help. "You all look like you've just witnessed the birth of god or something." Gabby says making us laugh. "You scared us that's why." Lilah says. "How long have been out?" Gabby asks. "About 10 hours, we've honestly lost count." Stella says and we all nod. We all give Gabby a hug, Gabby whispering something to Lilah when she hugs her before they all swap out, allowing the others to come and see Gabby too, which leaves just me and Antonio in the room. I see Antonio look at Gabby as if to signal she needs to do something or say something to me before he walks out of the room. "Matt, I need to tell you something." Gabby says and I look over at her. "Okay." I say. "Today has made me realise that you need to know, because I don't want anything to happen and have this dropped on you." Gabby says and taking a pause, the suspense of what she is going to say killing me as every second passes. "We have a daughter." Gabby says extremely fast I almost don't catch it, and my mouth drops in shock. I don't know what to say so I say, "What?" "Yeah, I know, her names Elliana and she's 4 almost 5, she's yours Matt, she could be no one else's." Gabby says and I have a hundred things I want to say to her. Like why did you keep this from me for all these years. I wanted to yell at her, but I stop when I realise it wouldn't change anything. I look up and say, "You didn't want her in my life before, so why now, why now that I'm going to have a kid with Sylvie." I say and I see a tear fall down Gabby's face. "Because I want her to at least have one parent, and Lilah, well she was talking just the other day about if she could ever have Brin meet her dad even if it was just for one day, she would do it because she deserves to know who he is and it made me start to think about telling you. But I didn't because, well you know." Gabby says and I give her a hug. "We'll work it out, and I agree she does deserve the truth." I say. "Do you want to meet her, I'll get Lilah to bring her in, she's in the waiting room." Gabby says and my eyes light up. "I would love to." I say and in that moment my eyes lock with Gabby's, we both move very close to each other, our lips gently brush against each other's before we hear someone at the door. We turn our heads and see Brett running in the other direction, head in her hands. "Oh shit." I mutter under my breath. "I'm so sorry Matt." Gabby says. "No, no don't apologise this is my problem, you don't deserve to get caught in between." Matt says as Lilah walks in with Ellie in hand. "Bad time?" She asks after seeing the looks on our face. "No, no come in, I want to meet her." I say and Gabby nods.

Sylvie's POV

I run out of the room and sit in the hall and begin to cry. I know exactly what I just witnessed and can't get the image out of my head. How could he do that to me, I keep thinking. Why didn't I see that coming? Why am I so stupid?

AN: I hope you enjoyed this chapter and sorry about the late post :)