What you don't see

The next morning

Delilah's POV

I dropped Brin off at school at headed to Med, I walked up to Jay's room to see him getting a final run down from the doctor. I wait outside and as the doctor walks out I walk in. "Hey, you ready to get out of here." I say. "You know how much I hate hospitals and all but the others, I can't leave them." He says. "I had a feeling you were going to say that so I brought some snacks." I say with a small smile. "I've got to be on crutches apparently for 1 week and the compression bandage on for 2 weeks." He says unhappy. I run my fingers through his hair. "You'll do just fine; the weeks will fly by." I say. "How do you always know what to say." He says. We both laugh and he kisses me. We head towards the other members of intelligence's room. "Atwater woke up in the night and is now conscious, it's really good and he is improving. It's even possible he'll be released tomorrow." Doctor Marcel says with a smile. "Omg that's great news, what about the others." I ask. "Kim's bleed was located the bullet did indeed nick the artery as Hailey guessed but they repaired it with a fairly simple procedure, there keeping her under anaesthesia to let her body rest. Her sats are good too so the ventilator will be removed within the hour." He said. As we walk closer to the room jay whispers in my ear. "My brother's a doctor and all but I didn't get all of that, did you by any chance." He says. I laugh. "Yeah, I did, I'll explain it to you in simple terms." I say with a laugh. "Basically, Kim's bleeding is under control and to try let her body rest from the procedure and they gave her medication to make her sleep, her oxygen levels are getting better too." I say. "Damn you know your stuff." He says. "Don't forget I'm a qualified EMT." I say with a small laugh. We sit in the small ICU waiting room again. "We've met up here too many times in the past few weeks, we need to go on a proper date besides the hospital." Jay says. "I like the sound of that." I say with a smirk. He pulls me into a tight hug and kisses my forehead. "Thanks for being there for me yesterday, in all honesty I would of lost my cool if you weren't there to calm me down." He says. "I'm just glad you're okay, I want your unit to be okay too and anytime you need someone to support you, I'm your girl." I say. He smiles at me. I think about all the times I've been in the hospital watching someone I love to suffer. How I feel alone, and I think about the people who were always there for me. Like Stella. "What on your mind, I can see you thinking." He asks me. "I'm just glad I could be a comfort to you, as someone who's been in your shoes, watching someone you love suffer is hard and to have someone there for you means a lot." I say with a small smile. I think back to 2020 and 2021. Hospitals were such a familiar sight, one day it was all fine, another hell caused havoc throughout my world. "I can tell there's more to it than just that." He says. "I was thinking about what Brin said to me last night." I say. He looks at me. "You don't have to talk about it but if you do, I'm here." He says. "I know, it's just hard and I don't feel like getting emotional but she said to me, Mummy your friends not going to be in the hospital for as long as I was right, he's going to get better just like I did, it brought back a lot, probably some of the worst years of my life and I doubt I wouldn't of made it through that if she wasn't as strong as she is, or if I didn't have the support I got from Stella and Kelly." I say about to break down. He looks at me tears in his eyes and pulls me in close, he runs his fingers through my hair. I wipe the tears off my face. I open my mouth to say more. "It's ok you don't have to say anything else." He says. I decide to say what I was going to say anyway. "She's too young to have to say that sort of stuff that's what broke me. She was four. Four, and I didn't know if she would make it or die. I save people for a living and what if I couldn't save my own daughter." I say in tears again. He kisses me on the forehead in tears now too. We don't say anything, he just pulls me in tight and runs his fingers through my hair. I calm down and explain to him why she was in hospital for all that time. "She had Leukemia, she fought with it for two whole years, she fought, she went through treatment after treatment and came out a little survivor. She got her three-year check-up, and they basically said her chance of relapse is the same as if she never had cancer before so back to the figure for anyone else." I say. "That must have been hard on you." He says. "I thought I was going to lose my Number 1 multiple times that was the hardest, I didn't care I missed out on going to social events, work even, I even missed Stella and Kelly's wedding, but I did it for her, so she could live her life and be the happy, bubbly child she is today." I say. "We'll she's lucky to have a mom as great as you." He says then kissing me.

AN: This chapter was probably the saddest chapter i've wrote so far. I hope you guys liked it :)