Nothing Lasts Forever

2 weeks later

Stella's POV

Kelly and I arrive at shift for my first shift working as the incident commander outside of harms reach around the same time as Lilah. Her baby bump starting to show through her oversized shift shirt. "You ready for your first shift with absolutely no danger?" Lilah asks me. "Yeah, at least I'm not stuck at a desk, I still get to ride on truck and be at the scene." I reply. "Yeah, we both somehow go out of desk duty." Lilah says and I laugh. "Yes, we did." I say an we fist bump. We put our bags down into the locker room and just as we do, the bells go off. "Ambo 61, Truck 81, Squad 3, Engine 51, House fire 265 Maybank Avenue." I look over at Kelly, that's his mom's house. "Oh god." I think to myself. I see the panic rush over Kelly's face as we almost run to the vehicles.

Kelly's POV

As soon as I realise it's my mums address, I start to panic, I can't lose my mum too. I feel slightly thankful that Mase has day-care today because I don't know where my head would be at if he was in there too. We all arrive on scene; I didn't even realise we arrived I was so lost in my thoughts. I start to panic as I arrive back to reality and see the smoke clouding the area around the house. I race out of the vehicle and quickly look around for my mum before running into the building with Cruz by my side.

Delilah's POV

As I watch Kelly run into the building to find Jennifer, I can tell Stella feels the same way as I do, helpless. We both have to stay outside when someone special to us is inside.

5 minutes later

Kelly's POV

We walk to the final room of her house still with no sign of my mom. As I open the door, I see my mom on the floor. I try to talk to her, but she remains unresponsive, and I can barely feel a pulse on her. I pick her up and carry her out as fast as I can. I hand her over to Brett and Violet who start working on her. They put the monitors on her, and she begins to crash. I feel myself to begin to go numb, I begin to breakdown and almost drop to the floor, but Lilah catches me. She looks as to be crying as well. She gives me a big hug, one that I needed. I hear the beeping continue no matter the amount of times Brett and Violet shock her. Then finally her pulse comes back. Although I know she's not out of the woods a weight is lifted of my shoulders. We all place her in the ambo before I get in the front with Lilah who is driving. Lilah drives really fast and super close to being considered reckless driving. I see her eyes still red from crying. Every few seconds she looks over at me and I see slight concern in her eyes. We arrive at the hospital and my mom is rushed in; the doctors look concerned with her condition. Just before she gets into the bay she begins coding again. The doctors leaving me outside the room. Stella and Lilah take me to the waiting room, sitting beside me. All of us distraught and trying our best to hold it together. The doctors then walk out, I instantly know it's bad. "Kelly." Will says and we all stand up hopeful. "Your mom didn't make it, she went into asystole, and we couldn't get her pulse back, I'm sorry for your loss." Will says before walking back into the ED. I breakdown falling to the floor and throwing my head into my hands. I feel Stella stroking my hair in attempt to comfort me and Lilah walking outside to get some air.

Delilah's POV

My heart drops, I walk outside and start to breakdown. I pick up my phone and text Jay. "Hey, can you come to Med, I really need you here and before you begin to panic, I'm not hurt, but something just happened, I Love you xx." I say. "Be there in 5 babes, I love you too xx." Jay replies. I continue to cry before wiping my tears away and returning to the ED where I see Kelly crying in Stella's arms whilst Stella is trying to keep herself together. Brett gives me a big hug knowing how much Jennifer meant to me. I sit down next to Stella giving both her and Stella a hug before Jay walks in and I run over to him and begin to cry into his chest. He begins to stroke my hair, trying to be understanding although he doesn't know what's happened. "Hey, hey, I'm here." Jay says stroking my back in a calm voice. "Jennifer's gone." I say choking up he doesn't say anything, but he just pulls me in tighter.

Stella's POV

Everyone returns home as Chief takes the house out of service. Kelly hasn't said a word to me, but I can tell he is in pain. I know how it feels to lose both your parents, the first one to go is hard but the second to go is harder. We pick Mason up from day care and Kelly holds onto him tight, a small smile on his face as he sees Mason. When we get home, he goes into our room and shuts the door behind him. As much as I don't want to get in the way of him grieving, I don't want him to go down the same dark hole he went down when his dad died. It kind of scares me since I remember how much our relationship was affected by it. I sigh and play with Mason to try and even partially distract myself from the sorrow of the day.

AN: I hope you enjoyed this chapter, i quite enjoyed writing it although it was incredibly sad. :)