You've Got This

2 weeks later

Delilah's POV

Tonight, is the firefighter of the year awards. Jay's coming home at 4 to start getting ready since I've got to be at the event for 4:45 so I decided to start getting ready so I could surprise him when he arrives home. I decided to wear the dress I wore the night we first got together, as well as matching red heels, the necklace Jay gave me, and curled my hair into nice ringlets. I grab Brin to drop her around and Kelly and Stella's where Jennifer is going to be watching Brin and Mason. "Come on Baby, we've got to go to Stella and Kelly's." I say and she follows me out to the car. "Okay you be good for Jennifer as you always are and look after Mason for me." I say. "Mason's going to be there!" Brin says excitedly. "Yeah Baby." I say grabbing her bag and walking with her up to the apartment. I knock on the door and Jennifer opens the door. I give her a big hug and pass her Brin's bag. "Thanks for looking after her tonight." I say. "No worries, you smash it out of the park." Jennifer says before I hug her and say, "I'll see you tomorrow when I pick her up." I head back to the house and start to get ready. I put on my dress, then do my hair and makeup before finally adding my accessories such as a bracelet.

Jay's POV

I leave work around 3:45 and head to the local florist to grab Lilah some flowers. I know she loves Lilies and roses, so I got her a bouquet of the two before heading back to our house. I walk into the bedroom and see Lilah standing in the red dress she wore the night we first got together at Molly's. I stand there speechless for a while before walking up behind her wrapping my arms around her waist.

Delilah's POV

When I finish I hear the bedroom door open. I quickly put my earrings in as Jay comes behind me wrapping his arms around my waist and I giggle. "I love that dress on you." Jay says before kissing me. "You like it?" I say. "Do I like it, let me think, you look stunning Babe, it brings back good memories." Jay says. "Maybe we could recreate some of those memories later." I say with a smirk and Jay kisses me. He picks something up from the bed. I turn and see this gorgeous bouquet of roses and lilies. "Aww, I love them Babe." I say kissing him. I place them in the vase on my dresser. "I'm glad you like them." Jay says before leaning in and pulling me into a kiss, we kiss for a minute before I pull away and say. "We'll continue this later; you need to get ready." I say. He grabs the stuff I put on the bed for him earlier and starts getting changed. I stare at him. We both laugh. "What are you thinking about, I see those wheels turning in your head." Jay says. "Just what I'm going to do to you tonight." I say flirtatiously which makes Jay smirk. Jay finishes getting changed before I touch up my look and add some finishing touches before heading out of the door. We drive all the way to Ballroom which is located on Navy pier. We park up and Jay and I walk hand in hand into the venue. When we walk in and are greeted by DC Hill. We talk for awhile before we head to find our table in the ballroom which is with the rest of 51. We are one of the front 6 tables due to my nomination. The table is extremely long with over 30 chairs. I see Kelly, Stella, Casey, and Brett sitting at the table with the rest of the seats empty. I sit down next to Stella and Jay sits next to me. We start to talk and then Kelly taps me on the shoulder. "You're definitely the best looking out of those losers." Kelly says pointing at the board which just started to display the nominees. "That was the best out of all my photos, so I'm glad they used that one." I say looking at it. "You're by far the hottest out of that bunch babe." Jay whispers into my ear. I grab his hand and hold onto it softly which provides me comfort and calms my nerves. Everyone else from the firehouse gradually begins arriving. "Is Gabby coming?" Stella asks me. "I actually don't know." I say as she walks through the doors towards our table. "There she is." Stella says looking towards Gabby. Gabby walks over and sits down at the table wearing a gorgeous blue dress. She sits in the only available seat left which is directly across from Matt and Sylvie. From the very moment she sat down I could see some weird eye contact coming from Gabby towards Matt and I could tell Stella picked up on it too. As if we were saved by the bell DC Hill steps up to the mic and the room drops silent. "Welcome, everyone to this very special night. I would like to first of all thank you all for being here to celebrate these five amazing firefighters who have been nominated for this award for 2023." DC Hill says and the crowd bursts into applause. "Now I would like to introduce our five nominees. From Engine 69, Roy Patrick, who was nominated for his heroic actions for saving another member of his company during a high-rise fire where he risked his life by staying with his fellow firefighter as the hoses were turned on." The crowd erupts into applause once more and the table full of Engine 69 members howl and whistle. "From Firehouse 34's Squad 5, Liam Decker, who was nominated for his heroic actions when a boat capsized. He came up with a strategy on the spot which I'm happy to announce is going to become a something every Squad company will know about." DC Hill says the crowd again applauding. "He's going to win." I mutter under my breath. Jay obviously hears me and says, "Your too hard on yourself. DC Hill continues, "From Engine 42, Michael Allan, who is nominated for his heroic feet of carrying and injured woman down the stairs one handed, whilst having a dislocated shoulder." The crowd cheers once again. "From Firehouse 51's, Truck 81, Lieutenant Delilah Halstead who is nominated for her heroic actions during an elementary school fire by putting others first when she took two young children on during a rope rescue without hesitation with seconds remaining before the floor gave way, saving those two children." DC Hill says making our whole table erupt into cheers. "And last but not least from Firehouse 46's Truck 67, Peter Willis, who is nominated for the heroic actions he demonstrated in a fire when he dove under the elevator to try and prevent it from crushing a victim in which he was successful of doing." DC Hill says everyone applauding once again. "Now, this year's winner is ...

AN: I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, who do you think is going to win! Hopefully i'll find sometime tomorrow to write the next chapter although it might not happen because it's my Birthday and i'll probably be out celebrating. :)