I Didn't Know That

Three Weeks Later – Firehouse 51

Delilah's POV

Today is Kidd's first day on desk duty. I'm kind of scared for who is going to replace her, I just hope it's not a sexist who prohibits me from driving the truck or makes me comfort the distraught people all the time, letting me do basically no real work. We walk into briefing, and I sit next to Stella with Kelly standing behind us. "Okay, everyone quiet down please." Chief says. "I've just got word from headquarters who the relief lieutenant for truck will be." Everyone looks around. "I don't see anyone Chief." Gallo says. "That's because they're already in this room." Chief says. Everyone looks confused. "I'm happy to announce Averton will be filling in for Kidd as lieutenant." Chief says. Stella gives me a big hug. "You finally get to put that pass to use." She says laughing. "I didn't know you took the lieutenant's test." Kelly says offended. I laugh. "Sorry I should have told you but the day I got the results back was a day in hell for me and it wasn't my priority and I did it in secret and then I didn't feel like mentioning it." I say will a small smile. "Well, I'm proud of you anyway." he says giving me a big hug. Everyone congratulates me on passing the test even though it was 4 years ago and says many things about how they are glad they don't have to deal with a stuck up or something along those lines. "One more thing though." Chief says. "For today truck will be a man down, but by next shift we will have a floater until Kidd's back at work." "At least it's better than having one in command." Mouch says. "Do you know who it is chief." I ask. "Word has it it's a Samantha Settineri." He says. I silently cheer. Everyone looks at me. "You know her." Gallo asks. "I know her she's a good firefighter, she should be permanent." I say. "I second that, she was in one of the academy classes I taught, only female and finished top of the class." Severide says. "Sounds like trucks in good hands then." Chief says. As I walk out chief says to me "You don't have to for this shift but by next shift when you have a full truck you need to pick who's going to fill in for you as driver." I nod. "I'll think it over this shift and hand the duty over next shift." I say. He nods at me and I walk towards the common room. Just as I'm about to sit down the bells go off. Ambo 61, Squad 3, Truck 81, Multi Vehicle Car crash, 258 Wacker drive. We all run to the vehicles. It feels weird sitting in the front all by myself. I look over at where Stella usually is and sadly smile. I already miss having her on truck. I start driving. When we arrive at the scene, I see a car with the caravan overturned and still connected and another car into a lamp post. Severide takes control over the scene but I have a suggestion. "Captain, I've responded to something similar before." I say. "You've got to be careful especially if the caravan is leaking fuel, I would recommend we check it before we start cutting or putting sparks near." He nods. "Good idea, lieutenant." he says. "Capp, Tony, I want you to check for any fuel leaks from that caravan before you start putting any sparks near it, Truck work on the car that crashed into the lamppost." He says. A few seconds later Capp yells "Major leaking, good idea to check that captain otherwise this would of lit up as soon as we began cutting, we need a new plan." "It was actually Averton's idea." He says smiling at me. Truck get the victim out of the car that went into the lamppost and hand them over to ambo. I walk back over to severide who is near the caravan. "Any ideas on how to move forward." He asks. "Maybe use cribbing to stabilise the caravan and unattach it from the car so it's not a factor later on when we free the people from the car." I say. "You heard the lieutenant." He says. Everyone begins to crib up the caravan when it's stable Cruz, Capp and Tony disconnect it from the car. We then pull the car out of the way and open the doors using the jaws. We put c-collars on all four of the victims. "Brett we are going to need at least two more ambulances, driver and passenger both unconscious over here and little girl complaining of pain in the abdomen." I say. I try and keep the two girls who look only about 4 and 6 calm. "Slow deep breaths." I say breathing with them. When they calm down, I ask them both "Does anything else hurt, your tummy, your head, your chest, your arms?" they both shake their heads. That's a good sign I think to myself. When squad opens the doors, I pick up the younger of the two girls to Ambulance 54 which just pulled up. "Thank you for rescuing me, my mummy, daddy and Clara." She says. My heart melts. "We'll thank you for being such a brave girl." I say. She hugs me. "Is my mummy and daddy going to be okay." She asks. "Two amazing paramedics are taking care of them and if there as strong as you I bet they'll be able to make it through this." One of the paramedic's wants to check on her and I walk away. She grabs my hand. "Will you stay with me I don't like needles." She says. "Well, this is one of my friends and I promise she'll take really good care of you and take you to see your mummy and daddy." I say. "Okay." She says. They buckle her up in the ambo on the seat whilst her sister is in the bed with abdominal pain. I walk over to the rest of 51. "Good work, that could of gone bad I wouldn't of even thought of that." Severide says. "Well, I was always smarter than you." I say. He jokingly punches me. "Let's help them clean up then." He says. We pack up and head back to the house.

AN: I hope you guys liked this chapter of the story :)