Chapter 23

They were either going to die or be expelled. The car took off and was out of sight faster then it appeared.

An hour has past and I haven't seen the car again,we were very close to hogwarts now and have already changed into my robes.

I've asked Ginny every question possible. She thinks she will be placed in Gryffindor,which is what she wanted and she wanted to play quidditch.

Hermione, Ginny and I all stepped out of the Hogwarts express. Hermione and I made our way to the castle as Ginny walked with Hagrid to the boats. I haven't seen Val at all since we parted but I am sure she's perfectly fine.

We took our seats at the Gryffindor table,waiting excitedly for the first years to be sorted.

"Hufflepuff!" " Ravenclaw" "Gryffindor!" "Slytherin!" the sorting hat announced.

"Ginny Weasley!" professor McGonagall called. I wasn't surprised when she was placed in Gryffindor. She cheerfully skipped to our table and sat right next to me.

"Welcome to Gryffindor" I congratulated her.

"Valerie Velonté!" I feel like professor McGonagall was putting to much attention on our surname.

"Slytherin!" the sorting hat exclaimed.

Everyone's eyes were on me. Everyone knew I wanted to be in Slytherin in my first year and obviously my sister would be perfect child and get what I wanted. But that didn't bother me really, Gryffindor was my family now and if I was place in Slytherin,I wouldn't now Ron,Harry or Hermione.

"Where is Ron and Harry?" I questioned Hermione. "I don't know" she looked concerned too.

I didn't eat,I wasn't really hungry but I knew it's because of stress,I still had no idea where Harry was. oh,and Ron.

Hermione,Ginny and I all made our way to the common room. We were all sharing a room this year since one of the girls we shared with had complained to professor McGonagall.

I still had my bed near the window and Hermione and Ginny on either sides of me, across from me was a girl named Lavender,she was kind of annoying really. It always sounded as if she had inhaled helium.

I slowly shut my eyes,hoping to drift of to sleep but sleep never came. When I looked out of the window I had opened,the sun was starting to smile at me.

I decided to get up since there is no way I could sleep any longer,I took my robes and bag to the bathroom. I took the braid out of my hair that I slept with,making it run down my back with beach waves and tiny curls. My hair had really gotten lengthy since I refused to cut it over the summer,which my mother agreed to because she said it was more elegant.

I walked down the corridor to the great hall for an early cup of coffee. I was the only Gryffindor there with a few Ravenclaws.

I made my way to Green house 3,where I walked into Harry,Ron and Hermione.

I got to stand next to her, Harry and Ron are on the opposite side of the table. Draco was standing next to me.

"Morning, everyone."Professor Sprout taps the stand to get everyone's attention. "Good morning, everyone."

All of us look up and greet in unison,"Good morning, Professor Sprout."

"Welcome to Greenhouse Three, second years. Gather around, everyone. Today we're going to re-pot Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake root? " she looks up to find only Hermione's hand and mine .

"Yes, Miss Velonté?"

"A Mandrake, also known as Mandragora, is a magical and sentient plant which had a root that looks like a human. When matured, its cry could be fatal to any person who heard it."

"Excellent. Ten points to Gryffindor."

I look around to see Draco smirking at me and Harry smiling.

"As our Mandrakes are still only seedlings... ...their cries won't kill you yet. But they could knock you out for hours, which is why I have given you earmuffs... ...for auditory protection. So could you please put them on, right away?"

I put my earmuffs on.

"Quickly. Flaps tight down, and watch me closely. You grasp your Mandrake firmly. You pull it sharply up out of the pot. Got it? And... ...now you dunk it down into the other pot... ...and pour a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm."

Just as she finished,I look at Neville on the other side of the table falling backwards.

" Longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs."

Seamus looks down at Neville and then Professor Sprout.

"No, ma'am, he's just fainted."

" Yes, well, just leave him there. Right, on we go. Plenty of pots to go around. Grasp your Mandrake and pull it up." What, she's just gonna leave him?

I do as she said and grasp my mandrake and pull it out. Everyone's mandrakes start to scream and I look to my right to see Draco sticking his finger in its mouth and it biting down, Draco starts to panic and hurriedly pulls his finger out,he looks over at me and we both start laughing.

°°°°°°°°°°°

I walk towards the great hall with Percy and Penelope behind me,I had just walked into them snogging around a corner. It was pretty awkward now and I couldn't help but laugh at myself,I kind of liked him more now that I know he's just human.

" Hello, Percy, Miss Clearwater." I hear nearly headless nic behind me.

I walk up to the Gryffindor table where Ron is trying to fix his wand with tape,Harry staring at him and Hermione reading.

I walk up behind him just in time to hear Ron say "Say it. I'm doomed."

" You're doomed.", I replied as i sat down next to him.

" Hi, Harry. I'm Colin Creevey. I'm in Gryffindor too." The boy shoves a massive camera in Harry's face resulting in a flash and Harry blinking rapidly.

"Hi, Colin. Nice to meet you." He replies.

" Ron, is that your owl?" a girl says who sat a little down from us. The owl flies down but falls into a bowl of cereal making it flie into the air.

" Bloody bird's a menace." Ron groaned.

"Oh, no. Look, everyone. Weasley's got himself a Howler." Seamus laughed.