Chapter 20

I glanced over at the clock and jumped out of bed in a panic. I began rushing around and nearly tripping on my own two feet. My fight-or-flight response was in overdrive. I ran to brush my teeth aggressively before running to get clothes. 

"D-darling? Is that you?" Andy mumbled from the bed behind me.

"Yes I overslept for work! I'm going to be late," I told him as I grabbed my stuff frantically.

Andy hopped out of bed and came and gently wrapped his arms around me.

"Darling, you quit over the weekend remember?" Andy gently spoke to me.

I froze in his embrace and felt sort of dumb.

I looked at the calendar and looked at the clock. It was January 6th, 1982 and it was 8:42 a.m obviously, my mind had forgotten temporarily that I had quit the record store.

"Right love I totally forgot. I feel so stupid," I told Andy who was bringing me back to bed.

"Darling don't feel stupid. It's something you have to get used to," Andy replied as we both settled back into bed.

I sighed. My body had been in a fight or flight feeling for so long I don't even know how to relax.

"Come here darling," Andy mumbled as he brought me close to his chest.

I took some deep breaths to try and calm my fast heartbeat. I always ran on high stress and well one of my stressors is gone.

"I feel so bad because I woke you up from such a deep sleep and-," I begin to reply.

"Shhhh darling," Andy commented as he brought his finger to my mouth to hush me.

"But," I tried to reply.

"We have plenty of days to sleep in late and nap now that you are off. There is no schedule for you darling to follow," Andy reassured me as he kissed the top of my head.

I sighed again. I really needed to learn how to chill out my dudes.

"Andy, I don't know how to not follow a schedule. I've had a schedule basically since I was born and not having some routine isn't normal for me," I replied.

"You will get a new normal schedule in time darling. You just have to figure it out and I promise you you'll be ok. You overthink and overreact sometimes," Andy commented as he played with my messy bedhead of hair.

I was finally calming down. My nerves were overworked and were desperate for this break I was getting before I hit the pavement running in a few months.

For a while, silence was in and around us. It was comfortable.

"Are you dozing off darling?" Andy whispered to me.

I shook my head. I was just enjoying the silence with my husband. I didn't care what the outside world was holding or having in store.

"It's nice finally being calm and not worried at all for the time being," I replied as I kissed his chest.

Andy chuckled as he rolled us to my side of the bed.

Andy hovered over me.

"Love don't start please I just wanted to lay quietly with you," I commented as Andy stared at me.

"What? One of our first mornings we don't have to go nowhere and I mean the both of us and I can't admire my wife?" Andy asked.

I shook my head as I did my infamous pillow face-covering gesture.

Andy laughed at my actions.

"D-darling I'm not starting anything please don't hide your pretty face," Andy pleaded with me.

I tried to wiggle out of his straddle and when I sat up, I banged my head against Andy's by accident because of the pillow covering my face.

"Oh my god, are you ok?" I asked as I threw the pillow on the other side of the bed.

"Yeah darling I just, dang that was one way of knocking me off my feet," Andy replied chuckling.

I sat up partially as Andy was still hovering over me.

"Is there a bump?" I asked as I felt his forehead.

"Not yet," Andy commented.

"Don't say it like that!" I replied panicked. 

Andy chuckled.

"I'm only teasing darling. You didn't really hurt me that bad but a kiss would fix it," Andy pouted with his big puppy dog eyes.

"Not the puppy dog eyes," I commented as I looked at my husband who was pouting with his bottom lip sticking out.

I wiggled up and sat up and grabbed Andy's necklace gently to pull him down to kiss him.

"Mmm," Andy mumbled against my lips as we kissed.

"So you are better?" I asked him as we pulled apart.

"Of course I am," Andy teased as he leaned down for one more kiss before he unstraddled me and laid down next to me.

"Are you going to always be so extra now that I am home?" I asked Andy.

"Well darling remember, I made it my New Year's Resolution to love on you more," Andy replied jokingly.

"Oh wait that's right. Why am I even asking? You are actually following your New Year's Resolution," I commented.

"And you were complaining, psshhht, how rude darling," Andy replied with a fake cry. 

He buried his head in my shoulder as he pretended to cry.

"Oh hush love! You are being super dramatic," I told him as I played with his hair.

"I know I am darling but it's fun," Andy replied as he looked at me briefly before hiding his face in the crook of my neck.

"I just realized I already broke my New Year's Resolution," I commented after a few minutes of silence.

Andy sat up to look at me.

"W-what do you mean darling?" Andy asked confused.

"I was supposed to have a stress-free start to the year but already caused myself to have a panic attack about being late for work," I replied.

"That doesn't count. I say you get a re-do darling," Andy replied as he kissed my temple for reassurance.

"So do you get a restart on that resolution of yours too then?" I asked him jokingly.

"Oh, so you want me to start over with the affection this morning?" Andy asked while smirking.

"Just a bit maybe. You always make me feel safe," I told him.

"Come here," Andy replied as he sat up and held his arms open for me to lay in.

Here was to a loving morning with my husband.