Chapter 67

Christmas Morning was here. I could not pull myself out of bed at all. I knew we were gonna be busy in a few short days in Vermont when I'd get to see family and friends I had not seen in years.

I stirred and found Andy missing already from the bed. I groaned. It was only 5:30. On Christmas morning, why get up before 6 a.m if you don't have kids?

I sat up and put on my slippers and went to the hall and to the top of the stairs. Andy was setting up some of the gifts he had bought for me. I could also smell the coffee brewing in the kitchen. 

"Andy?" I asked from the top of the stairs.

Andy turned his head towards me and smiled.

"Merry Christmas Darling," Andy quietly spoke. 

"W-why are you up so early? But Merry Christmas love," I asked him.

"I wanted to surprise you but you surprised me first," Andy quietly chuckled.

"Oh I'm sorry love," I replied.

"Don't be sorry darling," Andy replied quietly.

"Are you going to come back to bed? It's only a little before 6 still," I replied with a yawn.

"I'll be back up to bed now shoo," Andy replied fanning a hand towards me.

I laughed.

"Ok fine," I chuckled as I went back to our bedroom.

I glanced at the clock and it was 5 till 6. I wasn't too thrilled about being awake this early on Christmas but perhaps it was practice once we have children of our own.

I got settled back into bed and closed my eyes. Whether I'd fall asleep or just lay here was another story.

Shortly, I could hear the door opening and Andy's feet shuffling across the wooden floor.

"Good you are back," I mumbled as Andy crawled back into bed.

"I didn't think you'd notice I was gone you were sound asleep," Andy commented.

"I can feel everything though," I told him with a yawn.

"I just wanted to set up some of the bigger gifts. It is a good thing I had them wrapped," Andy joked.

"It's not like I'm a kid," I told him chuckling.

"No but at times we both are," Andy replied quietly.

In the distance, you could hear the grandfather clock ringing the 6 chimes indicating it was 6 o'clock.

Since it was just going to be the two of us, we didn't really want to do much for Christmas besides stay home and watch whatever Christmas programs they would televise as we opened gifts at our leisure. 

"What time do you want to open gifts?" Andy asked mumbled.

"I don't have a preference love," I commented as I readjusted my pillow.

"Try and rest your eyes for now and we will get up when you feel like it," Andy commented.

And so, I kept my eyes closed as we lay in the quiet.

After a while, I felt Biscuit licking my hand as it hung over the bed.

I groaned.

"What's the matter darling?" Andy asked.

"Biscuit just licked my hand," I complained as I sat up and went to the bathroom and washed my hand.

Then, I went downstairs with her to let her out. Andy was shortly behind me.