Chapter 61

"Ok, so my mom is really wanting to help with the dinner though I told her I could do it,"  I told Andy as we sat in our bedroom.

It was the Monday before Thanksgiving. My family had flown in this morning. Though I loved my mom,  I wanted to show everyone that I could do things for myself.  Andy's family would be here later today. 

"Well darling I'm sure my mum is going to be the same way," Andy replied.

"I just want this to be perfect and things to go my way," I remarked.

My parents were out on the town while my sister was outside enjoying the California air with Biscuit.

"Darling, I mean we could tell them something if it makes you feel better," Andy told me.

I sighed. I didn't like confrontation. 

"I don't like confrontation you know that," I told him nervously.

Andy smiled meekly at me.

"But if you want control over something, you got to set boundaries," Andy told me. 

"True I mean," I replied.

Just then, a knock on our bedroom door disrupted our conversation.

"Come in," we both shouted.

The door slowly opened and it was Andy's parents. 

"Hey!" I commented.

"Hi mum. Hi dad," Andy remarked.

"How are you kids?" Barbara asked.

Me and Andy stood up from the bed.

"Good how are you guys?" I asked as we stood up and hugged them.

"We're good too," Hugh said.

"Let's head downstairs to converse," Andy told his parents.

Andy led the way out of the bedroom.

As we got downstairs, my sister was coming inside with my parents from the front door.

I took a deep breath with all the commotion of the families.

"Oh you guys are home!" I went and greeted my parents.

"It looks like we got some catching up to do,"  my mom gestured towards Andy's parents.

"Oh hello!" Barbara commented as she noticed my parents.

"Yes you guys do," I commented as the four of them sat down.

Andy chuckled at my setup.

"I'll go get some drinks for us," I told them.

Andy followed me to the kitchen as the entire house was taken over by chatter.

"Darling you are funny. You were like let's not do this right now so here we go talk to each other," Andy joked.

I chuckled.

"Well it worked didn't it?" I asked him as I got glasses of iced tea.

Andy nudged me.

"W-what?" I asked chuckling once more.

"You always know how to make sure things go smooth even if inside it feels chaotic," Andy reassured as he helped grabbed the glasses of the iced teas to head back to the living room.

"Mmmhm," I commented as I followed Andy.

"Here we are," Andy announced.

"Oh you shouldn't have," my mom said.

"I'm sure you guys were thirsty after all the exploring and of course traveling," I told my mom.

"That was sweet of you sis," my sister commented.

Everyone got a glass of iced tea and then went back to conversing with each other.

I went back to the kitchen to get mine.

Andy closely followed behind to get his glass.

I grabbed my glass of iced tea and took a long sip.

"Everything will be fine darling," Andy whispered. 

"I know I just got to believe," I told him after I took a deep breath again.

"Yes believe in yourself," Andy told me as we went to the living room to join our family.

"Oh good your back," my sister commented.

I laughed.

"Huh?" I asked her.

"Its so much between the 4 of them," she gestured towards them quietly.

Andy was drawn in to talk about the horse we adopted. Did I forget to mention  we adopted a horse named "Chestnut?"

"You wanna sneak out to the backyard?" I asked her as we glanced around.

"Let's go," she whispered back.

And so, we snuck out to the backyard where Biscuit was and headed over to the little stable area. 

"She's so pretty," my sister remarked as we walked through the backyard.

"Right? We knew she was the perfect fit," I replied to her.

"Did you pick the name "Chestnut" or was it given?" my sister asked me.

"It actually was picked by us. They originally named her Caroline," I told her as we looked at Chestnut in the stable. 

My sister briefly turned around.

"Wait I forgot you told me about the patio swing," she commented as she walked towards to porch.

"Sissy it was our dream as little kids," I told her as we walked up the steps to sit on the porch swing.

"Oh the weeping willow tree," she commented.

I chuckled as I sat down next to her on the swing.

"I never thought my sister would get to live her dream," my sister told me.

"Girl I thought I never would be able to with the Jessica stuff and let alone moving out to California by myself for college," I told her as we began moving back and forth on the swing.

"But you got through it and it made you stronger," she told me proudly.

"True it's hard to realize the strengths I've gained," I told her as we sat side by side.

"To our best years yet," my sister told me as she gestured her glass of tea toward mine.

"To our best years yet," I cheered towards her glass.

Things to be thankful for!