Chapter 174

"Well, it was lovely. Till it started raining," I remarked as Andy and I dashed for cover.

We had just finished one of the zoo exhibits in San Diego. It was a beautiful morning till the storms started building off the coast. 

"I think our day here is done," Andy remarked as puddles began to form in the zoo courtyard.

"Take your jacket off and hold it over your head like this," I told Andy.

"We are gonna have to make a run for the gate to the car," Andy told me.

"Ok on the count of three?" I asked.

"Yes," Andy told me.

"Okay. One, two, three, go," I told him as we jogged our way to the car.

The storm was relentless and was not gonna stop anytime soon.

We arrived at the car and Andy as fast as he could unlocked my door.

I got in so I could unlock his door from the inside.

After he got in, we both took a deep sigh.

"Why do most of our plans not work out?" I chuckled to myself.

"I don't think this rain was forecasted at all. I watched the weather reports for the last week and not one single forecaster said anything about rain," Andy told me as he turned the car on.

"Yeah I know which is weird," I replied as the windshield wipers cleared off the drops of rain on the car.

"So what do you wanna do?" Andy asked me.

"Is it safe to drive back to the hotel?" I asked him.

"If I take the backroads yes," Andy told me as we buckled up.

I said a silent prayer for the drive. Who knew what could lie in front of us?

"I wish it would stop raining. We have dinner reservations at Rustic Root and it was outdoor seating," Andy remarked as we drove. 

"Oh fuck that's right," I remarked sadly.

"Well maybe if we call when we get back to the hotel, we can see if they are moving everyone inside for tonight," Andy told me.

"True," I told him.

Andy reached for my hand as we drove. The rain slowed, but the road's puddling made it slick and scary.

"Just 2 more streets till we get to the hotel," Andy told me reassuringly.

I sighed in relief.

Quickly, we arrived and parked in the lot. It was still a steady rain. 

"At least the umbrella is in the car," I joked as I handed it to Andy.

"I'll get out and escort you," Andy told me lovingly.

I smiled at him as he took the umbrella from me and prepared the sprint around the car.

I opened my car door as Andy stood there with the umbrella over it.

"It's getting heavier as we stand here," Andy told me as I got out and shut the car door.

"I don't know if running across the lot is a smart move but we can try," I told him as I stood under the umbrella with him.

"Ok on a count of three again?" Andy asked.

"Yes," I told him.

"Okay one, two, three," Andy counted down as we tried to stay under the umbrella together.

After a quick jog and being out of breath, we were under the hotel awning.

"Phew," we said together.

Andy closed the umbrella and shook it before drying our feet on the rug in the lobby.

"Now let's go get refreshed," Andy told me as we went to the elevator.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the elevator doors and boy did I look disgusting. 

"Ewwwww," I remarked as Andy hit the elevator button to go up to our room.

"Ew, what?" Andy chuckled.

"I look gross," I gestured to myself.

"Darling we just went through a terrible rainstorm and all you can think about is how ew you look? You are crazy," Andy remarked.

"Yes I look ew," I told him as the elevator doors opened.

Andy shook his head.

"First off, no you don't look "ew." Second off, what are you expected to look like after a storm?" Andy asked me as the elevator doors shut.

"I don't know just not this ugly," I gestured as I felt my hair.

It was soaking wet in places.

Andy rolled his eyes as we waited for the floor.

The elevator opened finally as we headed to the room.

Andy got the key out and we finally entered our safe space.

"I'm going to call the restaurant while you go dry your hair,"  Andy told me lovingly.

"Okay," I remarked as I went to the bathroom to find my brush.

My hair was completely tangled in some spots. My makeup was a wreck too.

I continued to brush my hair out as I turned on the blow dryer.

After a few minutes, Andy came in.

"Ok, so the restaurant closed outdoor dining due to the rain. They are gonna call everyone who made reservations so I gave them the hotel number. They are making accommodations on who first made their reservations," Andy told me as he wrapped his arms around me.

I stopped drying my hair for a moment.

"So how soon will we know?" I asked him.

"They will call everyone by 4," Andy replied as he looked at us in the mirror.

"Sounds good," I told him as he continued the embrace around me.

For a second, we just stayed there.

"What?" I asked him with a chuckle.

"Nothing nothing I just love you," Andy told me.

"I love you most," I told him.

A little bit a rain didn't hurt the love we have for each other.