Chapter 45

I was back to square one. I was back to feeling down below the ocean and needing oxygen. It was life. I get that it is never perfect. But, when you are always optimistic and have hope it becomes a tiring circle when roadblocks occur.

While Andy was outside working on fixing the umbrella that was attached to our patio table, I felt like I needed to do something drastic to make myself feel better.

"That's it!" I mumbled to myself as I headed to my dresser to grab a comb and brush.

If I couldn't control the outside world, I could control my hair and make myself feel better.

I went to the bathroom mirror and studied my tired image. I began sectioning out my hair. I wanted to give myself the old fashion fringe like the 60s girls wore. I took a deep breath and I started chopping my grown-out bangs.

After I used a rat-tail comb to smooth out the new fringe, I smiled at myself. For once, I was having a happy feeling.

I then began with the length of my hair. I had grown it out since I had dyed it a while ago and I wanted to cut off at least 2 inches. I was no beautician. But, I chopped the ends off. I compared the size to make sure I had made an even cut and it seemed like I did.

I brushed my hair smoothly and I looked at my image again.

"I actually feel pretty for the first time in months," I told myself.

I was still able to put my hair in a pony and fix my new fringe. As I began cleaning up my mess, I heard my husband's footsteps.

"Darling? Where are you?" I heard him call from the hall.

"In here," I replied as I continued to clean up my mess.

Andy followed the sound of my voice.

"I fixed the- oh wow," Andy begin stating.

"What? Does it look bad? Oh god, I look ugly don't I?" I begin panicking and overthinking.

Andy shook his head.

"Darling you could never look ugly. You cut your hair didn't you?" Andy asked.

"Y-yes  I did. Do the bangs look bad?" I asked him worriedly.

"You look beautiful darling. I think they suit you and make you look more mature," Andy replied with a wink.

I glanced down and avoided his eye contact.

"I think you did a good job on the haircut. I may have you cut my hair soon," Andy replied.

I glanced up slightly to see him smiling down at me. During my bouts of depression, Andy was truly the sunshine. He made sure I felt good about myself no matter the circumstance.

"What made you decide to give yourself bangs?" Andy asked as he broke the silence.

I was holding his necklace charm in my hand. I always fumbled with something when I was nervous. If I couldn't pick at my nails or something like that, I always resorted to his necklace if he was facing me.

"I don't know to be honest. I mean Marie Osmond had fringe bangs for a while in the 70s and of course, Linda Ronstadt did too. All the popular, pretty girls all had the prettiest hair," I replied as I still messed with his necklace.

"The pretty popular girls? Darling, you didn't need this hair to be that," Andy analyzed.

"But I wanted to feel good about myself and thought it may help," I told him.

Andy sighed.

"Then I support your decision darling. I just want you to know you are beautiful no matter what," Andy whispered.