[62] Angelic Housewife Material?

Chapter 62: Angelic Housewife Material?

When Nami was a mere child, she was found by Bellemere, a female marine, who adopted her.

That woman also adopted another child, Nojiko, who became Nami's sister.

Nami was the wilder of the two girls. She also had bigger dreams and ambitions. While Nojiko dreamed of her life like a normal girl, Nami was having none of it. She wanted to draw the entire world on a map.

Sadly, the appearance of Arlong all those years ago made her dreams just that. Dreams that could never come true. By now she had almost forgotten about that, too.

Now, she just wanted to pay Arlong the money he demanded from her. Just 12-million more berries, and she will be free — along with the entirety of Cocoyashi Island.

"It's okay to keep it docked here. That rope isn't too strong, but since the sea is calm near this island, that should be enough."

Nami explained to Hashirama, who gave her a lazy nod. He didn't really care since he could make a new boat any time.

After a long journey, they were finally here at Cocoyashi Village.

"Now, please follow me closely. Don't stray from the path I walk on. It can be dangerous if you wander around and get seen by the fishmen."

"How close do you want me to be with you?"

"...."

"Huh, was that too cheesy? I'll tone it down next time."

Hashirama smiled and Nami sighed.

"Follow me."

Nami stomped on her feet and began to walk. She needed to warn Nojiko that she was dating a guy who was flirting with her sister.

....

The island wasn't quite lively. It felt rather dry, almost like a ghost town. There were people, but they all went silent when they saw Nami. No, they wore a scowl when they saw her.

Some began to whisper seeing that a young man was behind her. A few scoffed at that, whispering that this was what she was left to do—to bring a man to her house. Now she has done that too.

"Stupid girl. If she was dating she should keep it outside the island. Now when Arlong heard about this, what if he causes trouble?"

Hashirama heard a soft and hushed voice say. From the volume of the voice, he doubted if Nami had heard it.

Turning to the side, he noted it was the old man with stitch marks all over his body. Although Hashirama recognized the middle-aged man, he couldn't remember his name.

Hashirama looked forward again, at where Nami was walking.

"Please don't mind their words. I have a bad rep around here, so they talk on my back. I'm sorry."

Nami kept walking without looking at any of the people. Her expression was stoic and her eyes were sharp as she ignored the gossiping. She made a turn in the street and entered a path leading to a house in the far.

....

The village didn't hate Nami. The bad talk was all a front to fool her.

Years ago, when the scarred middle-aged man – Genzo – who was the village sheriff- learned that Nami had joined Arlong's crew, he was disgusted with Nami.

He ordered her to never set foot in the village again, and the villagers agreed.

But he later became suspicious of why Nami joined Arlong and made Nojiko tell him about her plan to buy Cocoyashi Village. In order to prevent her from feeling that the villagers were counting on her and that she could not escape if she wanted, he resolved never to reveal that he knew her motives.